Workamper News Forums
FAQ  - Register  - Login 
[ Welcome Guest ] It is currently 08/20/17 11:27

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Our first job, continued....
PostPosted: 08/01/17 08:04 

Its almost unbelievable that today is August 1. We've been on the road since April 13th and the time has just flown by. Our jobs continue to be great and are still exactly what we signed on for. We have learned a lot of things and most of the time its great dealing with all the campers. We have seen the value of knowing the exact value of all our benefits in our work agreement as one of the other workampers had some issues with the owners and ended up quitting abruptly, just before 4th of July weekend. I'm sure all of you experienced workampers have seen that before. To all the "newbies" out there, like us, do your homework and know exactly what you're agreeing to before you pull into the campground. We also have a new job all set for the summer of 2018!! We will be traveling to West Yellowstone !! Can't wait! I've also been beating the bushes for a winter job in Florida but nothing yet. If a job in Florida does come up we might be at that place where we will have to think hard about selling our "sticks & bricks" and stay out on the road full time.

Stop by the camp fire and sit a spell,

Paul & Linda

Post subject: Re: Our first job, continued....
PostPosted: 08/01/17 09:48 
Forum Platinum-500
Forum Platinum-500

:mrgreen: There are not to many jobs in the Southern states that have paid work! Amazon usually hires for the RUSH and it start in usually October. Location I worked at in 2010-11 was in Campbellsville, Ky. The pay is better and overtime is paid usually 15+ hrs, they provide site/hookups. They complete the season in Dec just before Christmas and may ask you to stay on a bit longer. You can check them out by Amazon.com/Workforce :mrgreen:

Whats nice being a couple you can earn enough to take the Winter off if you desire, or volunteer to work for site and utilities at the Southern states!

PostPosted: 08/05/17 10:08 
Forum Gold-120
Forum Gold-120

As a new workamper it appears you are doing all the right things! We have been fulltime for 11 years and have volunteered as park hosts for at least one season every year. We try to have next year's job set up by the time we leave the current one. We have returned for more than one season to a couple of parks. Our current position is a paid contract position with the Corps of Engineers. When the season ends October 31 we won't return. This particular position is too many hours. I started sending out resumes in June for a winter position. It took until the end of July to get an offer. Some places just don't want to interview or think about winter until fall. We will be going back to volunteering for less hours required at a county day use park. I've heard people state it is hard to get your foot in the door in FL for the winter. Sometimes you have to take a summer position to be considered for winter. Good luck and happy workamping!

PostPosted: 08/05/17 11:58 
Forum Aficionado-1000
Forum Aficionado-1000

My granddaughter is a Ranger here in a Florida State Park and they are looking for applicants for the winter.

It is in Volusia County, just west of Daytona Beach in DeLand Florida.

If you wish to contact me direct at paulandjoan1@juno I I may be able to help you.

Lots of luck.