Workamper News Forums
FAQ  - Register  - Login 
[ Welcome Guest ] It is currently 06/26/17 01:21

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Going thru Baton Rouge LA
PostPosted: 01/20/17 13:16 
Forum Platinum-500
Forum Platinum-500

Can anyone assist in deciding what day/times are best for trying to go EB thru Baton Rouge? We will be leaving TX soon and heading to MS and have never been thru LA, but have heard that Baton Rouge traffic is horrible. We would avoid rush hours, but wondering if anyone has had luck with certain days or times going thru.

Post subject: Re: Going thru Baton Rouge LA
PostPosted: 01/20/17 15:06 
Forum Bronze-20
Forum Bronze-20

Drove thru last April and don't recall anything horrible. All cities are just overloaded with traffic. We always avoid rush hours. Good luck.

PostPosted: 01/21/17 00:06 
Forum Aficionado-1000
Forum Aficionado-1000

I would drive thru early on a Sunday morning. It has been 3 years since our trip thru Baton Rouge. We sat in traffic for hours on 1-10

"Weeds are like people: We may be different but you gotta dig us !"
- Lyndsay

PostPosted: 01/21/17 18:54 
Forum Aficionado-1000
Forum Aficionado-1000

I try and avoid I-10 in Louisiana at all cost. In my humble opinion that is the worst interstate in the country.

The last time we traveled I couldn't wait to get on I 12 in Baton Rouge. Before I could get off I-10 on to I-12 my glass fell off my face, my partial plates came out of my mouth, and my hearing aids fell out of my ears, the radio came out of the dash of the motorhome and dishes fell out of the cupboards, and the clock started going backward. two shocks fell off the rig and one tail light came out of the tow vehicle. Oh another thing it took about 500 miles of Florida interstate to settle my stomach.

to me I-10 is the worst there is it is bumpy, bumpy bump the whole way across the state.

However we never had any problem other than the usual local traffic that knows where it is going and we don't always know where we are going.

Just try and plan you trip through the area as mentioned during low traffic travel times.

PostPosted: 01/22/17 21:43 
Forum Silver-60
Forum Silver-60

Came through there this past Nov. No real traffic issues except I-10 is a crappy road in LA but then so is I-20 in LA. We traveled mid day at mid week. Our goal is to avoid the whole state.

PostPosted: 06/05/17 09:21 
Forum Silver-60
Forum Silver-60

:o :lol: Shirley and I decided a long time ago, if we have to go thru a problem area, we do it at night. Not during daylight hours, or rush hours. :lol: Have been thru ; LA, Memphis, Pittsburg, Dallas and Fort Worth, Atlanta, ETC.
Traffic is always light and moving at posted hwy speeds.
Be safe in your travels, and our paths may cross down the road.

2003 Pontiac Sunfire (toad)
Lucy, Cock-a-poo
Maggie, Yorkie-poo

PostPosted: 06/05/17 09:31 
Forum Silver-60
Forum Silver-60

p.s. This way by stopping just outside a metro area, we unhook the toad and sight see. We see some great things that the normal RV'er doesn't get the chance to see during the day.
Example; did you know that Kansas City is known for its water Fountains? there are at least 25 of them, and maps are free from visitors centers and Chamber of Commerce., Beale street in Memphis and the Peabody Hotel (where the ducks come down the elevator every morning to swim all day in the indoor hotel fountain, then go back up the elevator in the evenings to their roof roost.

So many great things too see that are off the beaten path (expressways).

2003 Pontiac Sunfire (toad)
Lucy, Cock-a-poo
Maggie, Yorkie-poo

PostPosted: 06/12/17 06:35 
Forum Aficionado-1000
Forum Aficionado-1000

We usually drive the less traveled roads wherever we go, we get to see so much more than on the interstates. That being said, if we have to drive through an area on an interstate we just go on through when we get there. Personally we have never been completely stopped on I 10 anywhere, always more traffic in city areas and lots of idiots that must be watched for in them. We have traveled probably most US highways that cross the western half of this country at one time or another, but still have some stretches of them we have not made it on. Actually we find in the West it is harder to find any less traveled roads as most all traffic is channeled to the interstate system. There are places we don't like driving through, places like El Paso, St. Louis, Memphis, and most all the big dirty cities, but no problem when we have to drive through them. I leave myself a buffer and when some idiot fills it with their vehicle, I simply back off a bit. I guess driving semi trucks got me over any fear of driving on whatever road the trip required.

Happy RVing.

:mrgreen: 8-)