Workamper News Forums
FAQ  - Register  - Login 
[ Welcome Guest ] It is currently 06/17/18 18:08

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: fifth wheel hitch vs gooseneck adapter
PostPosted: 02/15/11 15:10 

we are in the prosess of getting a fith weel trailer is there a big differance between a adapter and a regular fifth wheel hitch

Post subject: Re: fifth wheel hitch vs gooseneck adapter
PostPosted: 02/15/11 21:43 
Forum Gold-120
Forum Gold-120

It depends on how much you want to use the bed of your truck when you're not pulling your 5th wheel. Goosenecks can be tricky to hook up; a fifth-wheel is much easier to connect, in my opinion, than a gooseneck. But if you're going to use your truck bed a lot, a gooseneck makes a lot of sense.

PostPosted: 02/15/11 23:21 
Forum Platinum-500
Forum Platinum-500

:( I have seen a few trucks with squashed boxes because the goose neck trailer ball is a bit more tricky to know when it is locked in place. Also the goose neck will jack knife a lot easier. :mrgreen: But: Talk to a lot of people who actually owned them, all I done was drive for a company hauling a 30' rail body trailer with gooseneck coupler. Irishrover

PostPosted: 02/15/11 23:28 
Forum Aficionado-1000
Forum Aficionado-1000

Almost without fail all the owners I know who put a gooseneck adapter on their fifth wheel hitch, it was because they already had the gooseneck ball and did not want to buy a fifth wheel hitch.

Personally I would take a fifth wheel style hitch ten to one over a gooseneck or neckover type hook up. The ease of hookup is just that much easier, and quicker in my view. Four pins and our fiver hitch is out of the truck and we can haul whatever we wish, and the slide on of the fifth wheel style hitch over the pick up and drop down on the ball hitch is just much simpler.

It really is a matter of opinion and everyone has to do what is right for them, but I would imagine buying the adapter from fifth wheel to gooseneck ball would be almost as much as purchasing a good fifth wheel hitch.

Happy RVing.

8-) :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 02/16/11 12:11 
Forum Bronze-20
Forum Bronze-20

We started our full time life with a used Ford that had the ball in place. When we bought the 5er, we paid for a 5th wheel hitch but the service department talked us into a gooseneck adapter instead. It was slightly cheaper.

I have full access to my truck bed, both towing and not towing. Hookup is a 2 person job but has not been a problem in over 6 years of use. No other problems to report and I am very happy with this setup.

The Great MisAdventures of David & JoEllen

PostPosted: 05/09/15 22:48 

First thing you need to do is check the RV manufactures position on using goose neck hitch on their 5th Wheel. Excel (made by Peterson Mfg of Center KS) will void your warranty if a goose neck hitch is used. It seems not all 5th wheel RVs can handle a goose neck hitch, make sure yours can before jumping.

I love the advantages of a goose neck!!. Bed is free from hitch when not in use. You ever try to unload gravel in a truck with 5th wheel hitch rails mounted, not fun. Also leaves more room in the bed when hauling my RV. One of the biggest factors is the load value of a goose neck vs 5th wheel. The highest rated 5th wheel is 22K and price goes up with the higher rating. Every goose neck hitch I have seen is rated at least 32K. Ok so you’re not going to be hauling 32K. The way I look at it, another 10,000lbs to keep the RV off the back of my cab if something happens. Maybe false thinking, but I feel better about it. Also cost me $600 for a top of the line goose neck hitch for my truck installed, that is at least $500 dollars less than an average 5th wheel hitch.

As for hooking it up, every bit as easy as 5th wheel and maybe better on you front jacks. Get you trailer to low when hooking up and your pushing pretty hard against them. To high, that can be a whole different story. If you can’t get your goose neck lined up, simple answer. Use a mechanic telescopic magnetic pick up tool. Extend it, place it just in front of the hitch ball. Back up to it, when it touches or falls, your there. I will have a goose neck hooked up as fast as any 5th wheel.

PostPosted: 10/15/16 00:19 

We have a travel trailer, but plan to get a 5th wheel in the not to distance future so I have been doing some research on hitches. I heard as BRANSONDAN mentioned that the gooseneck adapter will void the warranty on some 5th wheels. It does seem that the adapter would act like a lever that could put additional strain on the pin box, but on the other hand a 5th wheel manufacturer that supports an adapter or even offers it as a option may build a stronger chassis than one that doesn’t.

Another option to look at is a PullRite SuperLite http://www.pullrite.com/superlite or an Anderson Ultimate Hitch https://www.andersenhitches.com/Catalog/ultimate-5th-wheel-connection.aspx. They are light enough that they can be removed easily by one person. They work like an elevated gooseneck hitch so your adapter is no thicker than the normal 5th wheel pin. You can find YouTube videos on each.

PostPosted: 10/16/16 19:48 
Forum Aficionado-1000
Forum Aficionado-1000

I would suggest you talk to a dealer or someone who owns a fifth wheel set up and someone who owns a gooseneck set up. Get them to let you hook and unhook both, then make up your mind which you would prefer. We just bought a 40 foot (race car) trailer for our storage unit as we are going back to full timing and leasing two lots in an RV park here in SE AZ. The storage trailer will be on one, and our MS on the other, so if we decide to move to another park or another part of the country both can be easily moved.
The 40 foot had a gooseneck set up on it, I bought an adapter to fit my fiver bed rails to pull the gooseneck trailer, went 200 miles to pick it up, had to crawl in the pickup bed to get it locked on, and when we got back to our place had to crawl into the bed of the pickup to unlock and unhook it. No comparison for me, I can hook and unhook my fifth wheels from outside the bed. I converted the 40 footer to a fifth wheel and never pulled it again as a gooseneck. I have a great gooseneck hookup if someone needs it.
We just completed a 4000 mile trip with the new 40 foot cargo (race car) trailer, and had to hook and unhook several times, never had to get inside the pickup bed at all. I can see where it might be easier to hook and unhook a gooseneck on a flat bed truck, but I still would opt for the fifth wheel myself.
Happy RVing.
8-) :mrgreen: