Workamper News Forums
FAQ  - Register  - Login 
[ Welcome Guest ] It is currently 09/19/18 17:09

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Full awnings mounted on slide outs
PostPosted: 01/12/10 10:07 
Forum Aficionado-1000
Forum Aficionado-1000

This is not slide out topper awnings, but full awnings to add more shade for those times when you need it.

I just looked back at the estimate one dealer gave us for putting on two twelve foot awnings on our slide outs, which were not long enough to cover all the windows properly. We were quoted 5600 bucks, and i think I misquoted that in another post. First I was told by both the factory and a dealer that electrically operated awnings could not be mounted on slide outs, and that any awnings on slide outs had to be done during the manufacture process so they could put bracing behind the wall panels for them. (of course they both said only a twelve foot awning could be installed)

I ordered two full 14 (our slide length) ft carefree awnings and rollers from a place in Ohio that had a special on them. I then ordered the carefree electrically operated awning arms from a large MH dealer in Houston.

I lined up some help to install the awnings before they arrived, and in about ten days the awnings arrived at the RV park we were staying in via 48 foot van semi. The arms were shipped UPS.

Once everything was there I began modifying the apparatus as necessary.
I took the awnings off the rollers and cut the rollers down to the length I desired them to be.
I took the awnings to a canvas shop and had them cut down and hemmed to the correct length. This job only cost 45 bucks and took a couple of days.
Once I had all the needed bolts and fasteners we started installing the awnings.
We used self drilling, self threading lag type screws to mount the arms.
I had shortened the awning rollers and material enough for the arms to mount directly to the aluminum frame around the edge of the slide outs.
The awning rail across the top also mounted to the aluminum under frame.
We then installed and plumbed each awning arm individually, installed the awning fabric on the rail at the top, then installed it on the roller.
The rollers were then placed in the cups on the arms and self drilling screws were put in place to hold it where we wanted it.
We used a drill battery to roll the electric awning in the first time.
I tapped in to the twelve volt circuits located inside on the lower walls of the slide outs, ran wires down under the slide out and along the wall/floor junction using plastic cable straps and self drilling screws up into the underneath side of the floor.
We then drilled holes floor level inside the slide out end walls and threaded the wiring through the holes (not visible from outside the RV) and wired the control switches up in the respective slide outs.
I purchased some four inch wide brick mold, cut, sanded, stained and varnished it to match the interior woodwork and installed the double switch plate in it. We ran the wiring up the corner inside the brick mold and installed the switches. The job was done and both awnings work great.

These are Carefree flat pitch awnings: That means they roll out flat normally, but can be adjusted to have pitch and for the outer edge to be lower than the inner edge. The flat pitch has enough slope to run water off and allows us to see out our windows without having bend down to look under the outer edge. The pitch can be set for them to drop down a total of 26 inches when extended. There is also an outside switch on the awning arm that allows them to be operated outside when the power switch is on. Even on the flat pitch setting if it rains the awnings automatically tip to let water run off. I could have bought the rain sensors but that was an additional 400 dollars per awning and we didn't feel we needed them.

This entire job, two electrically controlled awnings, the canvas shop work and paying someone three hundred dollars to help me install them cost us just barely over 3400 dollars vice the 5600 we were quoted, and we got what we wanted not what the factory or some dealer said we could have.

It took two of us with DW supevising a half day to install both awnings and have them operational.

Happy RVing all.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Full awnings mounted on slide outs
PostPosted: 01/12/10 15:21 
Forum Aficionado-1000
Forum Aficionado-1000

We use 3 carefree shade awnings on our rig and just replaced the BR slide at the cost of $200 just for the small awning. Kind of doesn't make sense to me but the super slide awing is the same price. . .Although a tedious job, we do our own installs. The other 2 will have to be replaced this summer.