FAQ  - Register  - Login 
[ Welcome Guest ] It is currently 11/14/18 09:17

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DIY, MODS, and UPGRADES
PostPosted: 01/10/10 00:27 
Forum Aficionado-1000
Forum Aficionado-1000

Quote:
In another topic Bandswelch wrote: It would be nice if some of you that did this work could provide us with more details on the how to. We have been wanting to do some remodeling on our fiver but the DH is a little leary of the work and how it will hold up. I think I need a decorator. I hate the scalloped window treatments what are they thinking of when they design these things?

I agree with the above and personally think it would be very nice as well as beneficial to forum members to have a DIY, MODS, and UPGRADES forum for everyone to post what they have done to personalize or update/upgrade their RV's.

I have done considerable work to our fiver since we purchased it in 2005 to make it more what we want than it was when we bought. I don't think there is an RV made that does not need personalization by the owners to make if feel more homey, and more personal for the owners.

I am on another forum where we exchange ideas all the time and I get many e mails asking how I did some modification and requesting pictures or instructions for doing the job. Things like installing awnings, ladder racks underneath fivers, sewer line tubes, extra storage, carpeting/flooring, plumbing and electrical work, and so many other topics that could and do come in handy for others. While all suggestions are not for everyone, it is nice to have several to choose from and helps pass along ideas others may or may not have thought of or think will work.

For instance installing a 240Volt dryer in a 50 amp RV. We have had one since a few days after buying our current RV and I have shared the wiring diagrams and pictures with 57 others to date. All have reported great results and now have their 240V dryers working in their RV's. I would not suggest that anyone who is not comfortable with doing electrical modifications do this, but several have obtained the services of electricians to effect the mod, some have even said they were told it was impossible to do such a thing with an RV dryer.

How about it WKN staff, is this feasible? I am sure it would lead to some lengthy posts for the how to's of the work, it could be a very valuable resource for our members here.

Happy RVing.

8-) :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: DIY, MODS, and UPGRADES
PostPosted: 01/10/10 10:41 
Forum Gold-120
Forum Gold-120

I like the idea. You can ignore it by simply not clicking on the topic. From what I can tell, there are lots of people reading the forums who are not workampers.

PostPosted: 01/10/10 11:23 
Forum Aficionado-1000
Forum Aficionado-1000

Sounds like a plan to me if the staff wants it, it was just a suggestion. I was thinking a DIY title just like the fulltimers forum might keep down what one has to search through as posters could put a title on the thread to identify what they are or have modified in their RV. I think the DIY would be a great name for the forum myself, but again just my opinion.

As I indicated I share lots of different things I have done both to our RV and for others as we travel about. To me helping others make upgrades, modifications is just another form of volunteering and I can see the results of the work, and many times others really don't realize how simple many of these DIY projects are.

Happy RVing.
8-) :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 01/10/10 12:31 
Forum Gold-120
Forum Gold-120

Now this topic will be interesting.Can never do enough mods to the camper.

"If momma not happy....I don't care...I have all of this"
TH Mods http://s897.photobucket.com/profile/jetboater454

PostPosted: 01/10/10 12:31 
Forum Aficionado-1000
Forum Aficionado-1000

Thanks David and WKN Staff that make these decisions. Here we go, we have the DIY forum, so lets swap info about our pet projects and upgrades. I am looking forward to reading about all the different modifications and upgrades everyone has made to their RV's.

Of course I will share mine with everyone. Fortunately I keep pictures of almost every project I have done on ours or others RV's so can provide visual aids if needed by someone.

Happy RVing all.

:mrgreen: 8-)

PostPosted: 01/11/10 00:40 
Forum Aficionado-1000
Forum Aficionado-1000

As I reported in the otherpost. Interested parties can click on our signature link to our web-page, then go to photo album. Pictures worth a 1,000 words :P
Other mods include, 6" PVC strapped to bottom of fiver to hold sewer hose.
Wooden floor installed on open frame where entrance steps fold in. This is now a booth/shoe holder.
Purchasing better grade hanging shoe holder, cut up and attach under sides of bed for additional shoe storage.
In our Combo/washer dryer closet, placed a shelf a few inches over combo and installed 3 drawer wire pull-out cabinet for linen, soap etc. and upright rechargeable vacuum.
Wine Rack at rear of kitchen counter bolted to floor and counter back,
Installed hinged steps going up to bedroom which holds wet-shoes, etc.
Installed five foot shelf/bookcase set into wall.
Replaced plastic bathroom sink with house style china sink and a real brass single lever tap.
Rewired toilet push button light to wall switch, so short folks (wife)don't have to stand on toes to put light or fan on. :oops:
Replaced electric fireplace, with 20,000 BTU Blue Flame fan forced heater. (Not used when sleeping)
Replaced both 12 Volt thermostats, with home style programmable AA battery thermostats. (If house battery goes dead, no furnace with RV thermostat)
Replaced fixed pin box with 5th Airborne air ride pin box.

PostPosted: 01/11/10 13:01 

Oh, I love this idea! I spend a lot of time searching the net for remodeling ideas. It would be so wonderful to be able to find it all in one spot. I would give anything to see some updated window treatments!

PostPosted: 01/11/10 16:09 
Forum Aficionado-1000
Forum Aficionado-1000

bransonrver
Feel free as I said to browse over the photo's of our RV. After we removed our window treatments, which are a chore, we purchased a fabric we liked, and electric staple gun, and coved over the old fabric. We then added inlay wood across the header.

PostPosted: 01/11/10 16:36 

Tworootless, I just got done looking at your blog and really liked it. I felt like quite the voyeur but I just love looking at other people's rigs and getting some decorating ideas. Your window treatments are beautiful (love the warm neutrals) but my husband took our valances down and said he hated them and didn't want them up again. :( He's agreed to a roman shade or something like that. Personally, I like the valances and think they look best but he's adamant and I can't argue with the handyman.

Are you guys still in NZ? Thanks for letting me peek at your lives.

PostPosted: 01/11/10 18:55 
Forum Aficionado-1000
Forum Aficionado-1000

bransonrver
Thanks for the compliment. As much as we like the valances, we also like Roman style shades. Our windows are double glazed and have a dark reflective tint, and the day night shades-also help to keep the interior climate comfortable. I will say if we ever remove then Valances and shade set-up we would go with Roman Shades. My step-daughter-in-law has them in her home here, in New Zealand.
We're due back end of February.