Workamper News Forums
FAQ  - Register  - Login 
[ Welcome Guest ] It is currently 07/21/18 05:51

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Satellite TV System Reviews
PostPosted: 02/15/18 10:38 
Forum Bronze-20
Forum Bronze-20

Thinking about making this leap - interested in WKs' reviews of various systems/features.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Satellite TV System Reviews
PostPosted: 02/17/18 07:28 
Forum Bronze-20
Forum Bronze-20

Of the two choices we use DISH Network. The price is reasonable (loosest sense of the word). You are able to easily change your location to get local networks. Just one chat session or phone call and you are finished. When you are done traveling you can shut service off until you are ready to go again. This is assuming you buy your own equipment and don't get the "free" stuff which would involve a contract. We got the tailgater and a VIP 211K. The tailgater is set up to be roof mounted or ground based. Depending where we are and for how long. We paid a one time hit for DVR capability and hooked up an external hard drive. Other than getting the occasional customer service rep, so we could change our location, that couldn't even spell RV we haven't had any issues. We have gotten to where we just push this and push that to get tech support.

We checked into Direct TV. They wanted a two year commitment period - end of subject. When we asked about changing our location when traveling they were lost. It seems the only way to do that is to change your billing address as well. And they had no means to shut it down while we weren't traveling. But, if we had Direct TV at home we could just take the receiver with us and keep watching TV. Except that pesky local network thing.

YMMV. We haven't had speaks with Direct for a couple of years but none of our friends have said things have changed. DISH has been good for our situation. With either service when you take advantage of the "great rates" you are getting into the two year thing.

PostPosted: 02/17/18 07:37 
Forum Platinum-500
Forum Platinum-500

I have DirecTV and full time so the on/off thing isn't an issue. I'm ON all the time. One big thing for me is the locals. I have DirecTV's DNS service (Distant Network Service) which gives me network channels where the channel numbers never change. If your billing address is east of the Mississippi River you get locals from New York City and Los Angeles for billing addresses west of the Mississippi. The big advantage of the channel numbers never changing for the network channels is if you have programs you record weekly. You don't have to reprogram your DVR each time you move or make a call to customer no-service.

PostPosted: 02/18/18 08:03 
Forum Bronze-20
Forum Bronze-20

I thought DNS was no longer offered, being phased out or whatever they call customer non-service. Based on Ed's experience that isn't true.

So it sounds like the bottom line is find the best price for the channels you want. Make sure you don't even consider the teaser prices. Ask them what the price is after the teaser price ends.

PostPosted: 02/20/18 09:53 
Forum Platinum-500
Forum Platinum-500

born2travel wrote:
I thought DNS was no longer offered, being phased out or whatever they call customer non-service. Based on Ed's experience that isn't true.

So it sounds like the bottom line is find the best price for the channels you want. Make sure you don't even consider the teaser prices. Ask them what the price is after the teaser price ends.

They may not (don't know) offer DNS for new service, but I definitely have it and have had for over 8 years. I even have my home locals at the same time. I have always heard they wouldn't do that. You had to have either your home area locals or DNS but not both. Don't know which is correct, but I have both. They did change DNS a few years back where they don't allow both east coast and west coast DNS feeds at the same time. They said it was an FCC thing. I know some with both coast feeds that have been active for years so I guess they don't take it away, just no new service for both.