Forum Aficionado-1000

Head south until you don't need heat.

Happy RVing.

8-) :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: supplemental heat
PostPosted: 11/02/15 08:06 
Forum Platinum-500
Forum Platinum-500

I full time since August 2010 so I have spent several winters in my 5'er. Previous to January-March 2015 I spend the winters on my home base site in central Alabama. My primary heat source was the propane furnace using an external 150 gallon propane tank. I didn't use supplemental heat other than the built in electric fireplace which I used some. The propane furnace worked perfectly down to a low of 8 degrees several times. I always unhook my water line and remove my pressure reducer when below freezing and operate off of internal water.

January-March 2015 I volunteered at a park where electricity was provided so I definitely wanted to use the free heat as much as possible. The plan involved two different strategies. When temps were above freezing and when below. I was in central Alabama where temps below freezing are mostly at night.

When below freezing:

I set the furnace thermostat on 60 with no supplemental electric heat at all other than in the bedroom. I would spend most of my time in the front bedroom with the door closed. I had a 800 watt cube ceramic heater on my dresser. This small electric heater would keep the bedroom and adjoined bath nice and toasty. The propane furnace would only come on occasionally which primarily would keep heat to the enclosed underbelly. I had zero problems with freezing and used less than one 30 lb propane tank for the entire 3 months.

When above freezing:

The furnace was not used. I would use the ceramic heater in the bedroom as previous discussed. The electric fireplace was used as well as an oil filled radiator in the kitchen area and another 1500 watt forced air heater by the kitchen table. Yes, all of these could be run at the same time. It did require a little trial and error initially to figure out which electric outlets were on which breaker. Once they were on separate breakers no problems. The only issue I had was in the mornings when I was warming the entire rig up I had to put the oil filled radiator on low when I was brewing my coffee with the Keurig. The only breaker I had left that wasn't loaded pretty well was the ground fault and the oil filled radiator on high and the Keurig would trip it. I would leave the oil filled radiator on at night to keep the back of the trailer cool vs no heat at all.

All worked well and each heater has a thermostat so once they are set to my liking all was well. One morning when I had everything on in "morning warm up mode", I went outside and looked at my EMS. Leg 1 was drawing 29 amps and Leg 2 was 22 amps. I was sure glad this power was not being paid for by me.

I will be doing this again this coming Jan-March.

PostPosted: 11/02/15 16:57 
Forum Aficionado-1000
Forum Aficionado-1000

When we are faced with below freezing temps in Montana in the Spring and again this past October we did the following.

We ran a separate 110 volt heavy duty power cord from the outside electric box through one of the windows and ran an electric space heater from it. Thus we didn't have to worry about blowing any circuit breakers and we used the campground electricity. Most all outside electric boxes have a 120 volt outlet in them with their own breaker switch. We just sealed off the window opening so we didn't lose any heat.

Just be careful of my buffalo as you travel.

PostPosted: 11/04/15 19:08 
Forum Aficionado-1000
Forum Aficionado-1000

buffaloman wrote:
We ran a separate 110 volt heavy duty power cord from the outside electric box through one of the windows and ran an electric space heater from it. Thus we didn't have to worry about blowing any circuit breakers and we used the campground electricity. Most all outside electric boxes have a 120 volt outlet in them with their own breaker switch. We just sealed off the window opening so we didn't lose any heat.

BE VERY CAREFUL about doing that. I once camp hosted in Colorado at Eleven Mile Reservoir where they had only 30 amp hookups (no 50 amp) and the 110 plug in. If you plugged into both outlets, it would blow the campground circuits.

Feel free to leave me some comments.

PostPosted: 11/04/15 19:21 
Forum Aficionado-1000
Forum Aficionado-1000

I've tried it many times only when they have 50-30-20 amp plugs. Never any trouble.

PostPosted: 11/24/15 12:17 
Forum Silver-60
Forum Silver-60

Hey Gang,

I get this question a lot during this time of the year. I provide seminar chats at our local RV parks for folks entering the winter season in their RV for the first time. We try to offer our best practices from our 9+ years of full-timing and from notes from our service calls. (I operate a Mobile RV Service that covers a 90 mile radius surrounding Wichita Falls TX.)

For your viewing pleasure I have attached some of my outline notes on topics I cover. (Note: I am not able to upload a PDF here so I have added the outline to my blog on my website here: http://myrvworks.com/?p=1408) I have edited it for this audience. I cover a lot more than what I have included here but wanted this to focus on things you can do to keep warm in your rig. I hope you can pick up something that will help you stay warm and enjoy your coach this winter.

If you have any follow up questions or RV service second opinions I am here for you!

Cheers,
Darren Koepp
Certified RV Tech, My RV Works, Inc.

Last edited by DarrenK on 11/24/15 12:50, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 11/29/15 16:40 
Forum Aficionado-1000
Forum Aficionado-1000

buffaloman wrote:
I've tried it many times only when they have 50-30-20 amp plugs. Never any trouble.

Yes, it will work if the outlet is 50/30/20, but do NOT do this if the outlet is ONLY 30/20.

PostPosted: 12/02/15 11:56 
Forum Platinum-500
Forum Platinum-500

I use an Amish style infra-red heater in the living area of the 5er; usually on 1,000 kilowatts above 30 degrees and 1500 KW below 30. Use a small ceramic for the the bathroom hall and bedroom on the 900 KW setting with the thermostat not more than half way. Have a Sunbeam electric plush blanket on the bed. Use the propane furnace set on 60. Have a heated water hose; have a small heater to keep the dump valves unfroze! :mrgreen: Irishrover :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 12/02/15 17:45 
Forum Aficionado-1000
Forum Aficionado-1000

Hey Irishrover that's why I'm in Florida. Temperatures in the low 80's today on Wednesday December 2nd. However we do have a cold front coming through for the rest of the week, with temperatures going all the way down into the high 60's to low 70's. Probably have to think about getting my light coat out of the closet.

PostPosted: 12/02/15 19:08 
Forum Aficionado-1000
Forum Aficionado-1000

A 75 watt light bulb in your "dump" compartment will do ok. If your valves are exposed, and not in a "Compartment," then I have a picture of a setup used in a previous RV.

PostPosted: 12/06/15 17:37 
Forum Platinum-500
Forum Platinum-500

buffaloman wrote:
Hey Irishrover that's why I'm in Florida. Temperatures in the low 80's today on Wednesday December 2nd. However we do have a cold front coming through for the rest of the week, with temperatures going all the way down into the high 60's to low 70's. Probably have to think about getting my light coat out of the closet.

:mrgreen: Rub it in; rub it in!!! :lol: It was 60 today with a low of 26 the past three mornings!

PostPosted: 12/06/15 17:41 
Forum Platinum-500
Forum Platinum-500

DXSMac wrote:
A 75 watt light bulb in your "dump" compartment will do ok. If your valves are exposed, and not in a "Compartment," then I have a picture of a setup used in a previous RV.

Thank JJ \; my dump valves are under the unit and I skirted to keep the wind out!!

PostPosted: 12/06/15 22:52 
Forum Bronze-20
Forum Bronze-20

Darren,

Great article on winter RV tips. Thanks.