Workamper News Forums
FAQ  - Register  - Login 
[ Welcome Guest ] It is currently 07/21/18 05:49

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: RV a/c repairs
PostPosted: 05/15/15 17:58 

My air conditioner on the roof makes a humming sound, was told fanbelt may have slipped, RV Repair man came & said motor burnt up, removed it, and haven't seen him since. Anyone know how difficult it is to replace?
Need help, as it is getting warmer here.

Post subject: Re: RV a/c repairs
PostPosted: 05/18/15 11:53 
Forum Platinum-500
Forum Platinum-500

:( I believe youjust got taken! If you have the name believe you should call the law! Replacing may be a bear if the attachments were taken!

Post subject: Re: RV a/c repairs
PostPosted: 08/06/15 21:24 
Forum Silver-60
Forum Silver-60

I see this post is dated but I can help. Swapping a motor for an A/C is very easy to do. As a mobile RV tech, in the triple digit region of Texas, I have performed my fair share of motor swaps this summer and am keeping my customers cool.

All A/C’s are designed for motor replacement in mind. First things first – you will need the A/C mfg and model number so you can find the correct motor for your unit. Look for a sticker either up inside where the filter goes or certainly on the roof with the cover of the A/C removed. Tech Tip :ugeek: : When you go to the roof, to remove the A/C cover, arm yourself with a can of wasp spray as those little guys like to build nests under the A/C cover. I always assume a defensive position and bang on the cover before I start to back out the screws to see if anyone is home.

With step one complete and a suitable motor in possession it is as simple as A, B, C. Certainly turn off the breaker first. For most motor swaps you can easily cut the wires from the old motor and wire nut, or crimp connect the wires to the new motor. That tip right there will save you in running the wires through all kinds of crazy access holes only to end up with a MOLEX connector that you do not have the special (read expensive) crimp tool to crimp the pin and install it into the plastic connector.

Just unbolt, or unscrew, the old motor, cut the old wires, bolt/screw in the new motor and connect the wires.
If you get stuck I will be glad to help. This is an easy procedure. I can complete the task in about 15 – 20 minutes. Motors run anywhere from $50 - $100. If you are having trouble finding a motor I stock many mfg’s and keep several on my service truck. A mobile tech will charge you an on-site service fee and the book rate to R&R a motor is 1.5 hours. So when I do this for folks it is around $360! You can save yourself the money – it really is easy!