Workamper News Forums
FAQ  - Register  - Login 
[ Welcome Guest ] It is currently 09/22/18 05:30

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Flat Wave Antenna by Winegard
PostPosted: 05/13/15 09:52 
Forum Aficionado-1000
Forum Aficionado-1000

I currently have a JACK antenna on my RV. I'm not sure if it's any better than the former batwing. I'm currently in Iowa in a large city where there are PLENTY of OTA channels. But, the problem is..... they keep fading in and out. I have to turn the JACK one way to get some channels, the other way to get other channels. And, if the weather is rainy or windy, the signal fades in and out. Even at the "sweet spot" for that particular channel.

Awhile back, I stopped at a Costco and bought the Flatwave Antenna by Winegard. It's like that antenna you see on the "Clear TV for FREE" informercial. Costco sold this antenna for $40.

Well, today is a beautiful day, no reason for channels to fade in and out. But they are fading in and out no matter where I position the JACK. Ok, I'm desperate. I got out the Flatwave, attached it to the bedroom TV (I probably could have positioned it behind my switch box so all three TV's got it, but didn't want to mess with it....). Rescanned the channels.

I didn't get any MORE channels or any LESS channels. But, the channels aren't fading in and out. And I'm getting all the channels (don't have to put it one place for Channel 5-1 and somewhere else for 39-1). In the package they give you that 3M mounting tape once you find your "sweet spot." But right now I'm just using regular tape. I have it mounted on my rear RV window. I'm guessing the sun will probably mess with the tape eventually.

I still want to try it at home on my camping lot.

Oh yeah. You get the option of plugging the antenna into the USB port on your TV or into a 110 outlet. I'm currently using the USB port, but my TV is 12 volt. Hope that's not an issue.

Feel free to leave me some comments.

Last edited by DXSMac on 05/13/15 19:47, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Flat Wave Antenna by Winegard
PostPosted: 05/13/15 19:20 
Forum Platinum-500
Forum Platinum-500

I got one like that at radioshack's shutdown sale @90% off....$8 for an $80 antenna!
It's a small one , about 8"x8" but it gets channels my rooftop doesn't and misses only 1 the rooftop does.
(the rooftop is one of those limo types that look like a jet plane , the PO replaced the batwing with )
I'm happy with it , especially for $8 , thinking about getting a bigger one in the future. Right now , it's laying on my dash. :ugeek:

Post subject: Re: Flat Wave Antenna by Winegard
PostPosted: 05/16/15 17:50 
Forum Aficionado-1000
Forum Aficionado-1000

The Flatwave is still doing a good job of "holding" the channels better than the JACK. I only have it connected to one TV right now, I took the cable off, and put the Flatwave on. I like to watch ION, and the signal on ION fades in and out. It's "holding" on the TV with the Flatwave, but fading in and out on the other two TV's, regardless of where I turn the JACK.

You won't get any more or less channels. You will only get what you are supposed to get over the air, but it seems to work! Someone in a different RV spot was having the same problem, she went to Wal-Mart and bought one, and she got a better signal (and she also has the JACK).

Feel free to leave me some comments.