Workamper News Forums
FAQ  - Register  - Login 
[ Welcome Guest ] It is currently 09/18/18 09:33

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Inexpensive Meal Ideas
PostPosted: 10/09/07 21:46 
Forum Platinum-500
Forum Platinum-500

Since Jim and I are going to be volunteering for about 3.5 months soon, I need some good, inexpensive meal ideas. I am trying to make up a monthly menu. We like soups, stews, dried beans. We don't eat much beef, and I am gluten intolerant so I can not eat anything that has wheat, barley, or rye in it. I can have pasta if it is made from rice, corn, or potato flour.

Thanks in advance! :lol:

Post subject: Re: Inexpensive Meal Ideas
PostPosted: 10/10/07 15:05 
Forum Gold-120
Forum Gold-120

My grandson is gluten intolerant also, so I've experimented with recipes - here's one that's worked out well:

Chicken Gumbo

In a large stock pot:

Brown 1/2 pound diced bacon, 1 diced onion & 1 diced bell pepper
Remove the bacon, onion & pepper from the bacon drippings & set aside to add later

Add 1 TBSP corn starch to drippings - brown the "roux" over medium heat until golden brown, stirring constantly (This makes a passable roux without flour)

Immediately add one whole roasting chicken, cover with water (I use at least 6 cups), boil covered until chicken is tender

Remove chicken, bone it, add half the chicken back to broth, freeze the other half for another recipe

Dump the bacon, pepper & chicken back in the pot. Add 1 large can stewed tomatoes and liquid. Add salt, pepper and tabasco to taste. Simmer at least one hour. The last 15 minutes, add one small package of frozen sliced okra, which will thicken the stew.

This can be served alone as a stew, or over rice. It makes enough to split and freeze half - half the recipe will serve two people at least twice if served over rice. So, for about $10, you have several meals, plus half a chicken leftover for another recipe.

PostPosted: 10/13/07 12:09 
Forum Platinum-500
Forum Platinum-500

Here are a couple of low cost ideas dug out of my Mom's old wooden recipie box. I remember her making the corn fritters all the time but never have thought of them since we got into the rig. I'll do them soon too.

Corn Fritters
Beat 4 eggs
Add 1/2-3/4 cup canned or thawed frozen corn kernals
Stir in 1/4 cup cracker crumbs Any type including gluten free crackers.

Drop large spoonfuls in hot butter or oil in skillet
Turn once. Serve with syrup

Mrs. Bodensteiner's Hot Dish I have no idea who she was!

2lb ground beef
1 med onion chopped
2 cans cream corn
4 sliced,peeled potatoes

Brown meat and onion in a little oil, season with S&P. Place meat on bottom of baking dish. Cover with creamed corn and season slightly. cover with sliced potaotes, seasoned slightly. Bake, covered for 45 min . uncover and continue baking about 30 min until potaoes are done at 350*

Marcie

http://ramblings-yarntangler.blogspot.com

Watching God Bless America on her back roads,
in her small towns, and through her caring people.

PostPosted: 10/09/15 13:19 

Red Beans and Rice

Cook in slow cooker from dry beans or canned

4 cans Kidney beans
1 small can tomato sauce
chopped onion
celery salt
chili powder
hot chili sauce
Kielbasi or Polish Sausage sliced

All amounts according to your taste

cook till thick server over rice

PostPosted: 10/10/15 11:10 
Forum Platinum-500
Forum Platinum-500

I use leftovers to make new meals. Example - a small pork tenderloin or roast. Use leftover meat & vegetables to make soup, stew, a stir-fry or pulled pork or bbq sandwiches, hot pork sandwich .

Ham slice -- some for dinner, then the other half for a casserole or a breakfast.

Shepard's pie with left over mashed potatoes, meat, vegetables, gravy etc.

You don't eat much beef and there is so much more you can do with ground beef that is inexpensive.

Luckily for you there is a larger variety of gluten free foods compared to a couple of years ago, and it is much cheaper now too.

Lots of salads, vegetables, fruit to go along with small meat portions.

PostPosted: 10/15/15 21:40 
Forum Bronze-20
Forum Bronze-20

Meal expenses are not only the foodstuffs, but cost of preparation, too. When we are in a site with electricity included (whether as part of workamping compensation or on the road), we do all-electric -- an inexpensive electric skillet along with the convection-microwave of the rig will do most anything; and, when we're in one place for more than a day, the crock pot comes out of storage. Not spending $$ on propane! If firewood is free, then add real campfire cooking, too! And just like in a traditional kitchen, making double batches of favorites to freeze half for quick heat-n-serve later saves both time and energy. Enjoy!

PostPosted: 01/20/18 13:16 

Slow cookers and hot pots are a traveler's best friend!
I was 18 wheeler trucking and I would keep a perpetual pot for days- adding meat, liquids like broth or soup, seasonings, vegetables, pasta, or rice and so on until I decided a good clean was in order.

I ate healthy and the food was good! Amazing how far the grocery budget can go!