Workamper News Forums
FAQ  - Register  - Login 
[ Welcome Guest ] It is currently 09/18/18 09:33

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mifi quirks
PostPosted: 10/08/15 21:29 
Forum Bronze-20
Forum Bronze-20

Question: After upgrading to new Mifi jetpack keep getting message from Windows.
stating this computer shares the same IP address. As far as I know the printer is the only item on that I have. Mifi only shows one connection unless I'm using printer.
as 2 items, I have block on that blocks everything after 2. Has anyone ran into this
problem. I also have a message in internet connection which says Limited Access. stops my mifi connection to internet and then I have to shut router off, turn back on
again. which is good to go for rest of internet time. Puzzled? Jimar

Post subject: Re: Mifi quirks
PostPosted: 10/08/15 23:41 
Forum Platinum-500
Forum Platinum-500

My husband and I both have laptops. He never received any messages, but when we first got our jetpack I would get the "limited access" message. I could usually go into the list of available connections - click on "connect" and then get on. Sometimes our jetpack wasn't even showing in the list as available. I would then shut down my computer - restart and it would be there to connect to. After a few times it stopped. Since hubby didn't get the message, we figured it was my computer.

PostPosted: 10/09/15 09:00 
Forum Aficionado-1000
Forum Aficionado-1000

We had an Internet on the Go MIFI for several years and it worked well but slow as it was on the Spring network. It finally died and we got a Verizon No Contract MIFI while we were in MO recently. Once in a while we will get that someone else using sharing the same IP Address, I just ignore it and move on, it never shuts either me or my wife down so didn't worry about it.

Happy RVing.
8-) :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 10/09/15 18:07 
Forum Bronze-20
Forum Bronze-20

How do you get a Verizon no fee contract? Had to take another contract this time again. Maybe its the region?

PostPosted: 10/10/15 08:53 
Forum Platinum-500
Forum Platinum-500

I was under the impression Verizon is not doing contracts any longer. You just buy the device outright either cash up front or by the month. They used to call this their Edge program (I think they have a new name for it now however). Depending on the data plan you select there is also a discount off of the monthly cost on the Edge payment.

PostPosted: 10/10/15 09:20 
Forum Aficionado-1000
Forum Aficionado-1000

JIMAR wrote:
How do you get a Verizon no fee contract? Had to take another contract this time again. Maybe its the region?

We bought our MIFI from Verizon at WalMart in MO, but they have the same thing here in AZ. No contract, just call up and load it when you want to use it. Drawback is that all the data expires in 30 days from the time you load it.

Happy RVing.

8-) :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 10/12/15 13:42 
Forum Aficionado-1000
Forum Aficionado-1000

That's called a "prepaid" plan.

I have the JetPack, and I have also gotten "limited access" but it still worked! Or, the rebooting also worked. I have never gotten the message of "sharing an IP address," but I have gotten "you have never logged on from this device before" when I move to a new area......

Feel free to leave me some comments.

PostPosted: 10/13/15 21:25 
Forum Bronze-20
Forum Bronze-20

If windows comes up and says it has detected another device sharing the same
IP address. could it mean my printer is also on the same IP address. I only have 2 devises all other's have been block where only 2 are allowed. I wonder if my printer
would work on my mifi if I used a diff. IP setup on printer. This even show's
a message when printer is off?

PostPosted: 10/15/15 12:28 
Forum Platinum-500
Forum Platinum-500

JIMAR wrote:
If windows comes up and says it has detected another device sharing the same
IP address. could it mean my printer is also on the same IP address. I only have 2 devises all other's have been block where only 2 are allowed. I wonder if my printer
would work on my mifi if I used a diff. IP setup on printer. This even show's
a message when printer is off?

I would go to the website or call the service Rep and find out!! Maybe it can be reprogrammed over the phone; seems it has a glitch.

PostPosted: 10/15/15 12:31 
Forum Platinum-500
Forum Platinum-500

:( I have used two MIFI's in the past; one is under AT&T; the other from Straight Talk; Ok for checking Email or maybe just browsing. They eat GB's and to expensive for everyday use!

PostPosted: 10/22/15 18:19 
Forum Gold-120
Forum Gold-120

We have used AT&T Mifi for almost 5 years now. Our first unit worked great for about 2 years when it started hanging up. The only way to get it going again was to remove the battery for about 5 minutes. We took it into an AT&T store and they replaced the battery and the micro card. It worked better for about 2 months but then back to the same problems. I checked into Verizon's internet and the price was about double of what we we are paying for 30 Gig at AT&T. Well I decided to check out what was available on the internet. I ended up buying another AT&T mifi unit on e-bay. Upon receiving it 2 days later, I charged the battery and installed my micro card from my old unit. After entering the new info to connect, I have not had another problem. One thing I have learned over time is, the further you are from the cell towers the slower the speed of info and the shorter the battery life was. By installing a Wilson booster has helped that problem immensely.

PostPosted: 12/31/15 12:04 

Wife and I are considering workamping at Yellowstone this coming summer. We are new to the wonkamping world. We have a Verizon cell phone plan. What is the best way to get internet connection in Yellowstone? I have to connect for some side work stuff and we would like to be able to stream from Netflix on occasion.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us newbies.

Ed

F250 towing a Rockwood 8289WS Fifth Wheel

PostPosted: 12/31/15 21:21 
Forum Silver-60
Forum Silver-60

Yellowstone is not known for good cell or internet. You may want to check with the employer for the best option. West Yellowstone does have good cell and internet. We have used AT&T for both cell and Mifi without difficulty in other National Parks. Bryce Canyon, Zion, Mesa Verde, Grand Canyon both North and South Rim.

PostPosted: 01/01/16 07:03 
Forum Bronze-20
Forum Bronze-20

AppalachianEd wrote:
Wife and I are considering workamping at Yellowstone this coming summer. We are new to the wonkamping world. We have a Verizon cell phone plan. What is the best way to get internet connection in Yellowstone? I have to connect for some side work stuff and we would like to be able to stream from Netflix on occasion.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us newbies.

Ed
Verizon seems to be the most popular (and best) provider on the park. The only places that have coverage are the main village areas. You can also get a signal in other areas if you happen to get onto the right hilltop at the right time or the right place on the lake. You can see the cell towers there if you are really looking hard and know where to look. Most people don't even seem to notice them. We have been able to do Emails and web surf pretty easily any time. Streaming will be difficult because of the volume of traffic on those towers. Not to mention it would eat up your data plan pretty rapidly.