[ Welcome Guest ] It is currently 09/18/18 10:16

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Windows 10 & jetpack
PostPosted: 08/11/15 19:47 
Forum Bronze-20
Forum Bronze-20

Hi
Has anyone installed the new windows 10 on a older style 7.1 laptop
computer. Who also use's a Verizon jetpack for there mobile service, internet service.
Are they compatible with no issues, have not done my upgrade yet. Waiting
for all the bugs to get out of Windows 10? Thanks Jimar

Post subject: Re: Windows 10 & jetpack
PostPosted: 08/12/15 08:45 
Forum Aficionado-1000
Forum Aficionado-1000

We did not install Windows 10 but ran into an issue with it and our Verizon mifi. We discovered a few days ago that we were using an excessive amount of gigs on our wifi. The first 2 days after our plan refreshed we burned through 2/3 of our gigs! Thought someone had hacked our account. After long talks with Verizon turns out that MS was running some pre installation Windows 10 stuff on our computers every time we connected to the internet even though we never reserved or ordered Windows 10 or clicked on anything to do with Windows 10. There is a fix on the MS website, but we had a tech guy come in and fix the problem (he had to delete some files or something). Cost us $50 for him to do 2 computers, but now our usage is back to normal. He said he has fixed something like 6 computers in the last 5 days because of this. I mentioned it on FB and found several other people had the same problem and once they were able to delete the files (or whatever) they are back to normal. Something to be aware of. Obviously I am not a techie so can't give you any more information other than if you see your mifi usage is abnormal check this out.

PostPosted: 08/12/15 08:47 
Forum Aficionado-1000
Forum Aficionado-1000

So THAT's it! I have the Verizon JetPack, too, and I couldn't figure out how I went from 1.5 gig mid month to over 5 gig two days later! I don't allow downloads without my permission. Apparently, MS bypassed that.

I thought I had been hacked, too! This isn't the first time it's happened. It also happened three years ago, I went over 5 gig three months in a row.

Feel free to leave me some comments.

PostPosted: 08/12/15 10:22 
Forum Platinum-500
Forum Platinum-500

I know that Windows 8.1 has an option to set an internet connection as a "metered connection". When set this way Windows will not d/l anything without your permission. Are you sure your jetpack caused the large d/l or was it your windows?

PostPosted: 08/13/15 08:08 
Forum Aficionado-1000
Forum Aficionado-1000

The way I understand it (I am not a techie...) is that any time we were connected to the internet Windows would be downloading this stuff in the background without our knowing. Since we go on the internet using our mifi it was burning up the gigs (3 gigs one day alone). I would imagine that if we were on the internet using the campground wifi it would still be doing that, but we would not notice. It is only because we have limited gigs and we check our usage every day that we noticed that we were using far more than usual and started looking for a reason.

We have Windows 8 and I did not know about the option to not download stuff without our permission. I will look in to this.

PostPosted: 08/13/15 18:14 
Forum Platinum-500
Forum Platinum-500

johkashi wrote:
The way I understand it (I am not a techie...) is that any time we were connected to the internet Windows would be downloading this stuff in the background without our knowing. Since we go on the internet using our mifi it was burning up the gigs (3 gigs one day alone). I would imagine that if we were on the internet using the campground wifi it would still be doing that, but we would not notice. It is only because we have limited gigs and we check our usage every day that we noticed that we were using far more than usual and started looking for a reason.

We have Windows 8 and I did not know about the option to not download stuff without our permission. I will look in to this.

In Windows 8.1:

Click on the Networks Icon on the lower right section of the screen. This will bring up available connections. Right click on the one you are using and you will see a screen that allows you to set this connection as a "metered connection". Windows will remember this setting each time you connect with this connection, but you do need to make this setting for each of the metered connections you may use suck as jetpacks or hotspot from your smartphone, etc.

Then go into Control Panel and click on Windows Update. Click on Settings and the first option allows you to set Windows to check for updates, but sends you a notification that an update is available. You can then go to a free wifi location and d/l and install it.

PostPosted: 08/14/15 08:15 
Forum Platinum-500
Forum Platinum-500

POSTED ON ANOTHER WEB SITE...

Windows 10 uses your bandwidth to send other people updates
http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2015...eople-updates/

Windows 10 launched on July 29 to much fanfare — it’s a free upgrade for Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 users — but along with the privacy issues, there’s another small thing you should check: by default, Windows 10 uses your internet connection to share updates with others across the internet.

The feature, called Windows Update Delivery Optimization is designed to help users get updates faster and is enabled by default in Windows 10 Home and Pro editions. Windows 10 Enterprise and Education have the feature enabled, but only for the local network.

It’s basically how torrents work: your computer is used as part of a peer to peer network to deliver updates faster to others. It’s a great idea, unless your connection is restricted.

Screenshot (13)
You can disable WUDO, but the option is buried in the settings menu for Windows Update under ‘advanced options’ then ‘choose how updates are received.’

Microsoft says that delivery optimization will not download or send personal content and only sends “parts” of the update cache but enabling it by default isn’t fair for users who might be on internet connections with limited bandwidth. I’ve asked Microsoft for details on how much data is sent when it’s enabled.

I formerly lived in New Zealand, a country where the average internet data cap is 40 GB. This feature being enabled could blow through a decent amount of my data without me even knowing it, if my connection wasn’t detected as metered.

If you’ve got limited amounts of upload or download bandwidth, it’s worth checking if this feature is enabled for you.

You can stop it sharing updates on these types of connections by setting your connection to metered or disabling the delivery optimization feature entirely.

The feature is a great idea — speeding up updates is good — but enabling it by default without the user’s knowledge is probably not a great idea.

Update: Microsoft says that the feature “helps people get updates and apps more quickly if they have a limited or unreliable Internet connection” and “does not slow down your internet connection” as it uses a “limited portion” of idle upload bandwidth.

Have a good one!

PostPosted: 08/14/15 08:26 
Forum Aficionado-1000
Forum Aficionado-1000

Haflinger wrote:
POSTED ON ANOTHER WEB SITE...

Windows 10 uses your bandwidth to send other people updates
http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2015...eople-updates/

Update: Microsoft says that the feature “helps people get updates and apps more quickly if they have a limited or unreliable Internet connection” and “does not slow down your internet connection” as it uses a “limited portion” of idle upload bandwidth.

That last part is complete BULL and obfuscation.

PostPosted: 08/14/15 08:26 
Forum Aficionado-1000
Forum Aficionado-1000

Thanks both of you guys.

PostPosted: 08/15/15 15:43 
Forum Aficionado-1000
Forum Aficionado-1000

Along with those "pre download" files we got that we didn't ask for, it appears my YouCam got uninstalled. It "disappeared" and is no longer on my computer! The shortcut is there, but the program is GONE! I did not have a trial version I had a full version, version 6. Now you can't get Version 6 as the downloader will redirect you to a trial version of Version 7.

PostPosted: 08/17/15 21:48 
Forum Bronze-20
Forum Bronze-20

I will wait for now, I'm so used to the windows 7 format. Don't want to lose things,
don't want all these app's. will just hum along with my 7.1 for now. Great info

PostPosted: 08/18/15 07:30 
Forum Aficionado-1000
Forum Aficionado-1000

We went totally MAC, wife has all in one desktop, and I Pad Air, I have Macbook Pro. Will never go back to windows on anything.

The only drawback to MAC is their photo program, I don't really care for it, but am waiting for Irfanview to come out with a MAC compatible program, then they will be perfect.

Happy RVing.

8-) :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 08/18/15 08:40 
Forum Aficionado-1000
Forum Aficionado-1000

A friend of mine complained that when we upgraded to Windows 10 she lost several programs. I think we'll stick with 8 for now.