Workamper News Forums
FAQ  - Register  - Login 
[ Welcome Guest ] It is currently 11/16/18 20:22

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: my first year solo fulltime
PostPosted: 12/15/16 14:46 

I went solo full time end of April 2016 I had a working camping job lined up but because of rehab from knee replacement I couldn't start when I suppose to (missed the start date by 8 days) and I was told not to bother coming. I decided to not work camp for the summer that turned out to be a mistake I found out camping fees are expensive for full timing in Wisconsin and Illinois. I started my first working job in Mission Texas October 1st that has been going great people here are very friendly and management is great to work for.
I'll be here until April 1st 2017 then I'll head north back to Illinois to see family. I have a camp host work camping job lined up for May June July at a state park in Wisconsin close to my son and his family I'm looking forward to seeing my grandsons. I made some mistakes and learned a lot about living full time in an 5th wheel hopefully I learned enough to make 2017 better.

Post subject: Re: my first year solo fulltime
PostPosted: 12/16/16 12:58 
Forum Platinum-500
Forum Platinum-500

Glad things worked out for you. You are probably better off to not to have made the first job. Any employer that is unwilling to change a start date by 8 days to accommodate a health concern, is usually not one you would enjoy working for. Life happens and the majority of good employers realize that.

PostPosted: 12/17/16 07:56 
Forum Platinum-500
Forum Platinum-500

This is my 7th year full time and I have spent the 6 previous summers hosting at the same park in Florida. This past summer I had to have hand surgery and couldn't perform all of my host duties and I offered to leave early. The park said "heck no" and paired me up with another single guy and we shared a duty normally assigned to a couple. Worked well for both of us. I was down to using only my left hand, but I could still wipe surfaces, empty trash, change paper, etc. The other guy did the moping. It worked well. The park was happy to work with me and I will be back in April 2017 for summer #7.

I think I have this snowbird thing backwards. It gets hot and I go south? I need to work on this I'm thinking.

PostPosted: 12/17/16 13:02 
Forum Aficionado-1000
Forum Aficionado-1000

I think I have this snowbird thing backwards. It gets hot and I go south? I need to work on this I'm thinking.

Hey EdAtlanta, be careful, don't get any ideas about going north now. Here are a couple of pictures of where we hang out during the summer.

Glad we're not there now.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: 12/18/16 08:46 
Forum Platinum-500
Forum Platinum-500

I agree on not wanting to be north right now. I have been on a couple of week round robin trip visiting relatives before Christmas without my RV which is at my home base in Alabama. I started in Little Rock, then Oklahoma City, and now I'm in Tyler, TX and on to Shreveport, LA later today for the night and then back to Alabama tomorrow.

We left Oklahoma City early yesterday morning headed for Tyler and the temp was 31. When we arrived in Tyler 300 miles later the temp was 75. Two hours after arrival the temp was 49 and dropping. It is 6:45am right now and the temp is 22. All of this temperature swing is killing me.

PostPosted: 12/19/16 14:32 
Forum Platinum-500
Forum Platinum-500

So have you found any warm spot yet?

We are in Rockport TX and it got down to 32 last night. With the 25mph wind we had (gusts higher) it sure felt a lot colder. I think the cold sank all the way into the RGV too. Waiting for a warm up again. Hate this cold!

PostPosted: 12/20/16 07:58 
Forum Platinum-500
Forum Platinum-500

We arrived back at the home base late yesterday. It is currently 41 degrees, but there is a warming trend coming. I'm just glad we got out of Oklahoma City when we did. The first night we were gone it got down to 4 degrees.

Brrrrr!