Workamper News Forums
FAQ  - Register  - Login 
[ Welcome Guest ] It is currently 09/19/18 16:31

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Newbie looking for Fall 2015 / Winter/Spring 2016 Gig with $
PostPosted: 08/30/16 23:25 

Hi! Newbie Solo here. Seeking pay + FHU to get through cool/cold months. Have Handy Man (light plumbing and electrical, carpentry, remodeling and general maintenance) experience, as well as computer skills. Of course can cut gas, meet and greet, etc.. Looking for suggestions... States/regions/companies, jobs, same to avoid, etc.. I have a need for an income in addition to FHU. Thinking I can do off-site Handy Man jobs if within a reasonable distance of a metropolitan area as I am now. Any/all help appreciated. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Newbie looking for Fall 2015 / Winter/Spring 2016 Gig wi
PostPosted: 08/30/16 23:30 

BTW... What does "The Warehouse" pay? (I've listened to the "video" (it was audio only for some reason). I hear they work you pretty hard. Is it "worth it"?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Newbie looking for Fall 2015 / Winter/Spring 2016 Gig wi
PostPosted: 08/31/16 21:53 
Forum Platinum-500
Forum Platinum-500

Hi MLWinnig,

You want to go back in time and take a Workamping job? ;) :lol: (check the subject line of your post again)

I would recommend upgrading to the Workamper Silver level. Then you can begin receiving the daily Hotline email with new job listings and review the current and past issues of the magazine online (each issue is job listings organized by state). If you want additional income or some wages paid, you can search the Hotline Jobs page and an issue of our magazine for $$ or $$$ -- these symbols at the end of the employer's ad text indicates that some wages/salary is paid.

If you are only interested in certain states, then you could turn on Job Alert emails and select just your states of interest. Then you will get an email with each new job posting for just those states. [Once a Silver member - On your Dashboard at Workamper.com click on Manage Account. Then click any [edit] link. Check the box in the Communication Preferences section for Job Alerts. Click the Save button. Then you'll see a link to click next to the Job Alerts option to select specific states.]

You'll also want to create your online Awesome Applicants Resume using the Resume Builder tool. Your resume will be available in the database once you have the first four sections filled out. You can also email/print out your resume. We have many Employers who never advertise, and just find all of their Workampers via the database.

Then, I would submit a Situations Wanted Ad. This is a 30-word ad advertising yourself to Employers. It can go in the next issue of the magazine coming out in October.

There's also assorted opportunities available on the Featured Employers page, the Volunteer Opportunities section, and more via the Job Resources page - https://www.workamper.com/workamping/job-resources

Once you have narrowed it down to a few Employers you are interested in, you can use the Praise Your Employer tool and the Workamper Experiences forum here on this site in the members-only section. These two tools are where Workampers can share about their experience with an Employer, thusly they can also be used to research an Employer. You can also use the Member Map tool - look up the city, state of the operation you are considering and contact any Workampers who have their pins there to see if they happen to be working for that particular employer.

As you can see, Workamper News Silver (or Gold) membership is a one-stop-shop for finding your future Workamping adventures.

Please let us know if you have any questions on utilizing our member tools! Thanks!

P.S. Regarding the popular fulfillment center that hires Workampers, you'll find three recent videos from them in the Jobinars section of the Media Library. Yes, the work is physical but the pay is pretty much the best in the Workamping world and it's a short-term position. They hire hundreds of Workampers each year and their return rate is pretty high. You'll just need to learn more about the opportunity or contact them to help make the decision on if you are physically capable/want to do it.