Workamper News Forums
FAQ  - Register  - Login 
[ Welcome Guest ] It is currently 06/18/18 01:20

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Solos without an idea of how to do things.
PostPosted: 10/04/15 20:35 
Forum Aficionado-1000
Forum Aficionado-1000

This is not a slam on Solo’s but we got an eye opening this summer. Now mind you we encourage couples and solos to become Workampers and are more than willing to help everyone when we can.

What happened was we worked with a super nice single woman this summer who last year volunteered near her home in Ohio at a state park. She put her nice beautiful home up for sale this spring (it hasn’t sold yet as of the first of October) but it is a nice large home and will sell.

She went out and bought a new pickup truck and a new 30 foot trailer to go Workamping. Now some folks need to listen to the dealership that sells RV’s when they do the “Walk through on the new RV.” She headed over 1200 miles west from Ohio to Montana. If my memory serves me right she the trip in less than a week. Incidentally she travels with a dog and a cat as pets.

She needed help in backing into her space and setting up the rig to be level. We arrived a few days later and learned from the campground owner that she was having trouble in her rig and was asked to help. She said the toilet was backing up and wouldn’t flush.

Upon my inspection she didn’t know she was supposed to empty the holding tanks and had no idea how to do it, although she and the campground owner had hooked up her hoses. I gave her a lesson in how to do it. And then two days later she had a backup with her kitchen sink. Upon further inspection we learned she had a separate dump valve for the kitchen and the shower. She was not familiar with any of this. Meaning she had three dump valves on her rig that needed addressed on a regular basis.

I also showed her the panel that has water and holding tank levels. She had no idea what it was for.

Then as it turns out she didn’t know about the valve to switch over from one propane tank to the other. She also was not physically able to lift the tanks out when then needed filled. So throughout the summer we all chipped in to help her.

She still hadn’t learned about picking up after her dog and only marked it with a stick so she wouldn’t step in it. She had to come to our rig to get plastic shopping bags for this exercise.

We were more than happy to help but she was what we called “The widow woman syndrome” always needing help with everything she did.

Just be careful of my buffalo as you travel

Post subject: Re: Solos without an idea of how to do things.
PostPosted: 10/05/15 13:37 

I'm a new-bee too. But if I hadn't taken a walk through I would have never found that third dump valve either.

It's under the kitchen slide-out and you really have to look for it to see it. Good head bumper too.

PostPosted: 10/05/15 21:08 
Forum Gold-120
Forum Gold-120

I was not born knowing everything about an RV. I had to learn--some was taught--some self taught, some by the school of Hard Knocks--some I still don't know. And, since I had to learn, I am happy to teach others, even if they have no idea.

I do tend to get upset when I have to show someone three times how to do something.

PostPosted: 10/06/15 05:36 
Forum Gold-120
Forum Gold-120

Not sure if its still in print but the RV Handbook should be required reading for all new RVers. It is oversold as a do all know all about RVing but really is just basic info that applies to most RV functions. What passes as walk thrus today are basically useless wastes of time since most inexperienced buyers wont remember 10% of what they are "taught".

PostPosted: 10/07/15 11:37 
Forum Aficionado-1000
Forum Aficionado-1000

When I bought my first RV, they went over all of this, but I kind of glazed over at all the information. Ok, I knew enough to dump my tanks, and to dump the black one first....... But that was about all I remembered from the walk through.

I was so overwhelmed by it all I turned on EVERY SWITCH THERE WAS to include both the propane and electric switch for water heater. I DIDN'T KNOW! Oh, and I thought that by hooking to a 30/50 connector I could get 50 amp! WRONG!

My second RV had a second gray tank, the valve was on the other side of the RV and I had to "remember" to go to it....

I had to learn a lot....

Feel free to leave me some comments.

PostPosted: 10/07/15 11:46 

I usually dump a little out of my gray tank before the black tank to make sure everything is hookup right.

Dumped black tank first one time hose came off at dump nozzle !!!! Well never mind I'll quit there.

But now I dump gray tank to check connections then close and dump black tank.posting.php?mode=reply&f=15&t=12351#

PostPosted: 10/07/15 14:57 
Forum Platinum-500
Forum Platinum-500

:mrgreen: The manuals help; but the hands on approach is the kicker! :lol: Really Reading the manual helps as well as having it there at your side when actually performing the duties. Like the manual awnings and the first few times backing up to hook on the trailer or fiver.

PostPosted: 10/07/15 18:31 
Forum Aficionado-1000
Forum Aficionado-1000

You guys are all correct. She didn't even know where the manual was. She had to have friends back up her pickup to the trailer. Then she had to come back after leaving because one of the stabllzer bars came loose.

It was a comedy of errors most of the summer.

Just be careful of my buffalo as you travel.

PostPosted: 10/07/15 20:57 
Forum Aficionado-1000
Forum Aficionado-1000

The below is a good idea! I have had the hose "unattach" for who knows why when dumping black tank, it NEVER happens on gray tank.....

dhilton wrote:
I usually dump a little out of my gray tank before the black tank to make sure everything is hookup right.

Dumped black tank first one time hose came off at dump nozzle !!!! Well never mind I'll quit there.

But now I dump gray tank to check connections then close and dump black tank.posting.php?mode=reply&f=15&t=12351#

Feel free to leave me some comments.

PostPosted: 10/08/15 23:03 
Forum Aficionado-1000
Forum Aficionado-1000

But Buffaloman .... don't you think there are people (male or female) who will always be the
"chronically helpless" ?? I believe we have met up with several people who qualify. I had a childhood friend who always needed help cutting the grass (one of her chores) because the mower was "too heavy" and she could not remember "how it worked". Worked with a couple in Boston who were always stepping onto wet carpet because neither one would get up and take the Yorkie for a morning walk.
"Flying by the seat of your pants" is one thing but an RV is an expensive investment - to not know how to work it. No, we are not experts - we have hit quite a learning curve regarding air bags on tag axles. But we have never needed help with the tanks or kitty's litter box.
Technically we are solos - not a couple

"Weeds are like people: We may be different but you gotta dig us !"
- Lyndsay

PostPosted: 10/08/15 23:36 
Forum Aficionado-1000
Forum Aficionado-1000

Priscillia

You are correct the "helplessness runs on all sides. Even myself after over 15 years of Workamping I am still learning things about my RV and this lifestyle.

I just hadn't have it come to me in this way this summer. I give this individual courage for doing it the way she did. After all it was a big investment on her side and she didn't take it serious about how to operate and take care of her investment.

I give you credit as you have traveled around this country Workamping with your mother and that is to be commended as a great thing, especially since that is a big challenge. That has to be something you and mom will remember forever. What a wonderful life you have shared.

Just be careful of my buffalo as you travel.

PostPosted: 10/09/15 01:31 
Forum Aficionado-1000
Forum Aficionado-1000

Thank you ! But the compliments belong to many solos and couples. Ya'll have been out, "on the road", at least as long as we have.
This lifestyle started out, for us, as an escape and a new lease on life. It has been a wonderful adventure and, sometimes, a horrible ordeal. There is no way to explain to a new Fulltimer the terror of standing along a Nebraska roadside with limited cellphone service and an RV that has just had it's tailpipes ripped loose by a construction cone. Or to try to purchase fuel at the Flying J - have your ATM card declined because of a fraud alert (you have traveled too far into another State) while an ugly man and woman scream that you are wasting their valuable time.
Those are some of the events that New Fulltimer's need to be ready for. Tanks and gauges are so routine.
What I am trying to say is :"If the chronically helpless can't do the easy things for themselves; how can they deal with a real problem. Bless you for helping her. Hopefully your winter neighbors will simply be fun and friendly. No drama !
Best Wishes !

- Lyndsay

PostPosted: 01/21/16 00:39 

"HI" My name is Christina and I am new to this site. Thanks for the add. After reading the forum rules, these are the first posts I have read. While, I am not helpless, just finished sailing the Eastern Caribbean and Bahamas the last 3 years, so I do have a clue on systems and am capable of learning new systems. But, when I eventually do buy a motorhome, I will learn as much about my rig as possible, at the same time, I will not know ALL and look forward to the helpful people out there. I'm sure there will be some laughs on me in my journeys (as we would watch boats trying to anchor or pull up a mooring ball). So, as I get to know this group, please be gentle. Eventually, I would like to utilize my talents and experiences and get out workcamping. I thank all of you for your insight and information as I research this.

PostPosted: 01/21/16 13:57 
Forum Platinum-500
Forum Platinum-500

Seaspirit wrote:
"HI" My name is Christina and I am new to this site. Thanks for the add. After reading the forum rules, these are the first posts I have read. While, I am not helpless, just finished sailing the Eastern Caribbean and Bahamas the last 3 years, so I do have a clue on systems and am capable of learning new systems. But, when I eventually do buy a motorhome, I will learn as much about my rig as possible, at the same time, I will not know ALL and look forward to the helpful people out there. I'm sure there will be some laughs on me in my journeys (as we would watch boats trying to anchor or pull up a mooring ball). So, as I get to know this group, please be gentle. Eventually, I would like to utilize my talents and experiences and get out workcamping. I thank all of you for your insight and information as I research this.

"Just make sure your sewer hose is secured before you pull the slide valve!" :oops:

PostPosted: 01/22/16 00:51 
Forum Aficionado-1000
Forum Aficionado-1000

Hi Seaspirit
Welcome to this forum. We hope you enjoy your RVing adventure

- Lyndsay