Workamper News Forums
FAQ  - Register  - Login 
[ Welcome Guest ] It is currently 07/23/18 09:40

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The solo journey....
PostPosted: 01/13/15 16:10 
Forum Aficionado-1000
Forum Aficionado-1000

Ok, I've been trying to come up with something for this forum only.

I love being a solo. I tried to travel with another person, drove me crazy. I want to go on my timetable and I don't want to negotiate or compromise. Call it what you want, but this works for me.

Couples may not understand this, but the journey is different for solos.

Because we don't have someone to bounce things off, (well, a friend might require a phone call) we rely on ourselves. This means, we are more tuned into our needs and what is right for us.

As to why we travel alone in an RV, perhaps we have a reason, a plan, or perhaps it's just the "thing to do."

For me, I'm looking for the Hallmark movie. You know the one, where the plot line is something like...... you show up somewhere, then you forget to leave..... I think the actress Teri Polo has been in a bunch of those kinds of movies.....

I've been full-timing since 2011, and have had either camp hosting jobs or RV park jobs, pretty much year round, with maybe 2-3 weeks break in between. This is the first time I took a real "break."

Right now, my RV is in the shop getting a major crack repair (that the mfg is paying for, thank goodness!) and I'm in a hotel for 2-3 weeks. I'm hating having to pay for a hotel for this time period, but I'm really enjoying it. It's giving me the opportunity to kind of make a plan for what I want and need right now.

Right now, I'm exploring the option of selling my car (which I only use very infrequently since I don't tow it) and just going with rental cars. It won't save me money, although I can go from paying $180 for storage to $55 since I can rent a smaller storage room. Having this time in the hotel room is allowing me to really think it through.

How about other solos? What is your journey?

Feel free to leave me some comments.

Last edited by DXSMac on 01/14/15 01:33, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: The solo journey....e.e
PostPosted: 01/13/15 22:54 
Forum Aficionado-1000
Forum Aficionado-1000

Perhaps you can get some in-sight if you go and see the movie "Wild" 8-)

Post subject: Re: The solo journey....
PostPosted: 01/14/15 01:34 
Forum Aficionado-1000
Forum Aficionado-1000

Saw it. LOVED it! Parts of the movie made me cry, even though there wasn't anything really sad.....

Feel free to leave me some comments.

PostPosted: 01/16/15 09:03 
Forum Platinum-500
Forum Platinum-500

I am solo also and full time since 2010. I do have my ex visit occasionally (we get along great now--haha) and she goes on trips with me. Most recently we spent a week at Mickey's in Orlando with out daughter and her family. Great time, but the ex still works so when we got back she went back to her s&b an I moved to my current host site 75 miles away. I am enjoying being by myself again and she is too, but she is coming for a long weekend in 10 days or so.

Life is good for me so far.

PostPosted: 05/05/16 00:44 

I workamped for six years with my husband and we thoroughly enjoyed the Rv lifestyle. I lost him in December of 2014. I made the decision to continue on my own. It is an adjustment however I like being on my own. I workamped for two plus month last summer and then went traveling. I volunteered at the International Balloon Fiesta in Alburquerque, New Mexico,amazing!

It is very different being on the road alone,(have my four legged friend), learning how to handle all aspects of Rving by myself. The Rv and workamp community is wonderful and I have learned to really appreciate them. I have great family support and enjoy the solo experience.
Belle and LaceyLou, the Yorkie-poo

PostPosted: 05/29/16 17:14 

Hi, I am new to RVing. I started out in January of this year 2016. I also am a single solo RVer (female). I have learned a lot about RVing, been having a great time and seeing old friends and making new ones. I have been just playing and enjoying life since January and have plans for summer with my grandkids to travel about a month with me, but come September I need to have some kind of a job. I want to be able to work and travel so been looking at the workamper jobs, temp jobs, etc. I am open to any suggestions anyone has for work. I want to stay in the warmer states like Arizona for the Winter and then be those colder states during the summer. I just spent most of the winter in Arizona site seeing and seeing friends. Really loved the warmer weather. I also travel with no car, so far have not really had a reason to have one, but I do worry about how the situation may be with going to work and being more stationary for a few months. Look forward to conversing with other RVers. I to have a blog http:://trailertravelsblog.wordpress.com

PostPosted: 05/30/16 14:31 

HI, My husband and I workamped together for 7 years. He passed away 17 months ago and I have continued the journey on my own, with my dog. There are hundreds and hundreds of opportunities to workamp. Most will ask for couple, however if you like something that sounds good, never hurts to offer yourself. I do almost exclusively as a volunteer, have received small stipends. There are paying positions however, with pay that limits your ability to pick and choose what you want to do.
Decide if cleaning bathrooms is not your thing, how many hours do you want to work, do you mind weekends, etc. I have volunteered mostly for different government agencies. I have also workamped for private rv parks, day use areas, no campers, and wildlife refuge, again, no campers.
I like to limit my stay in one place to four, five months tops. I have an rv to travel! Many workampers return to the same place year after year, not my choice.
There is a free sites hat has lots o info and lists jobs, Colleen's rv workampers on wheels, they have a newsletter. I also belong to Workamper.com, paid subscription. They are quite good and also allow you to have a resume posted. I prefer the Workamper forum.
We went without a tow vehicle for a year. Maybe for you, a bicycle or a scooter. I tow a pickup truck.
Currently in Alaska volunteering as a guide for the Sealife center in Seward.
Stay in touch,
Belle

PostPosted: 06/03/16 13:16 

Hi all! I am preparing to hit the road in a few months for my new adventures a solo Workamper. I'm so excited! But also a little apprehensive. I've been taking care of my father for the past 3-4 years and he passed away about a month ago. I've always wanted to retire and travel in an RV with my husband, but since I don't have one, I guess I'll have to go it alone! :) I would like to try this for at least a year but I have no idea where to start. My original plan was to purchase a motor home but change my mind because I'll need to work so I'll need a vehicle to get around in. So, I've decided on a small travel trailer and a 1/2 tuck to tow it. Any thoughts or advice on that would be greatly appreciated! I will also be traveling with my very well behaved Shitzhu, Zoey, also my guard dog. ;).

I have already learned a lot reading everyone's comments and stories on this forum and I'm hoping to learn a lot more before I take this plunge! I can't wait to experience new places and meeting new friends!

PostPosted: 06/04/16 02:40 

Hi, what do you consider small? When we bought our class A, I thought 32 feet was huge! Now it seems just right. There are some very good books, CDs, and rv websites that explain how to look, for rate and buy an rv. Use them!! It took me over a year to finally purchase mine. Do not be afraid to take along a check list and a flash light. Crawl under and open every Bin, door, look at roofs, inspect seams and seals. Know the manufacturer. This is going to be your home and it's on wheels. It will get bumped and shook and pounded on the road!! You want the manufacturer to be currently in business and stand behind their product. Do not trust that the salesman knows everything, they do not!! When you decide on one, do not be afraid to walk away and return the next day or two days later with your offer. as a woman, take no guff! Make sure you know and understand the warranty.
most importantly, this is an adventure, enjoy it, embrace it!!
Belle

PostPosted: 06/04/16 12:28 

Thank you Belle! I'm pretty confident I'll find the right one. The dealership I might be buying one from has been a family friend for years. My family has had a hitch business for 45 years and we've always worked with this camper business.

I'm just trying to figure out what typed of truck, diesel or not, etc. to purchase. My plan is to purchase both in early August and be on my way within a week or two after that. I'm from the Omaha area and need suggestions on where I should go first at that time of year. Should I make my first jaunt a short distance or I was thinking Lake Tahoe area. I have a relative out there so I might feel better knowing someone close by in case of any issues that might arise. Part of me just wants to go until I find a place I want to stop, but that could be a silly idea.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: 06/04/16 13:27 

HI, glad you have someone on your side! Funny, I was thinking about you a few moments ago.
More random thoughts for you, I am not offended if you tell me enough!! If you are doing the truck and tow behind, what about a generator? Are you looking at being self contained? Off the grid camping? Regular oven or microwave/convection combo, how much do you cook for yourself? I seldom use my oven. Found out pretty quickly that when I am workamping, did not have a lot of time when on duty for cooking, microwave really was a godsend.
My Class A is a diesel and everyone I have talked to, including my son, confirms that I get better mileage than a gas engine. He has a Class C gas, however he also has a diesel big pickup and that does much better even with a big trailer behind it. Diesel cost more however, I only have to change oil once a year! I am religious about upkeep and am always learning from everyone!!
You have to figure out your comfort zone for first trip, including driving over the mountains, wind, rain, snow? The first night needs to be in the parking lot of the dealership! I insisted on that. We went thru everything and then spent the night and went over stuff again!! Also gave me time to start reading the manuals and ask questions! Even tho' I started with a hubby, he was not mechanically inclined! I was the one with pliers, screwdriver, etc!!!!
Excited for you , let's stay in touch!
Belle

PostPosted: 06/04/16 13:41 

Great suggestions! Il definitely keeps those in mind! I think it might be a good idea to practice driving it around and parking too! I used to drive a tractor with an auger wagon so I've got a little practice under my belt at towing things. Lol. I don't think I'll be heading into the mountains and snow right away, plus, the whole idea if workamping is to not ever be cold again! :D

Thank you and yes, please keep in touch! I'll let you know when I'm getting closer to my adventure!
Laurie

PostPosted: 06/04/16 22:04 

I'm very close to doing the same thing. At almost 58 I don't need much. Learned that from living on small sailboats for over 20 years. Last one was 20' that I sailed to Guatemala and back. I'm in the process of selling my house (850 sq ft) and I'll be off next spring. I have a 2015 F150 and I'm looking seriously at a Casita 17 travel trailer which I think would be fine for me. I have the whole outside as my living room! It might not be for everyone but it'll be fine for me. Good luck on your journey!

Randy

PostPosted: 09/17/16 00:03 

Look into using Uber or Lyft for transportation when you are stationery.

mossrocker

DXSMac wrote:
Ok, I've been trying to come up with something for this forum only.

I love being a solo. I tried to travel with another person, drove me crazy. I want to go on my timetable and I don't want to negotiate or compromise. Call it what you want, but this works for me.

Couples may not understand this, but the journey is different for solos.

Because we don't have someone to bounce things off, (well, a friend might require a phone call) we rely on ourselves. This means, we are more tuned into our needs and what is right for us.

As to why we travel alone in an RV, perhaps we have a reason, a plan, or perhaps it's just the "thing to do."

For me, I'm looking for the Hallmark movie. You know the one, where the plot line is something like...... you show up somewhere, then you forget to leave..... I think the actress Teri Polo has been in a bunch of those kinds of movies.....

I've been full-timing since 2011, and have had either camp hosting jobs or RV park jobs, pretty much year round, with maybe 2-3 weeks break in between. This is the first time I took a real "break."

Right now, my RV is in the shop getting a major crack repair (that the mfg is paying for, thank goodness!) and I'm in a hotel for 2-3 weeks. I'm hating having to pay for a hotel for this time period, but I'm really enjoying it. It's giving me the opportunity to kind of make a plan for what I want and need right now.

Right now, I'm exploring the option of selling my car (which I only use very infrequently since I don't tow it) and just going with rental cars. It won't save me money, although I can go from paying $180 for storage to $55 since I can rent a smaller storage room. Having this time in the hotel room is allowing me to really think it through.

How about other solos? What is your journey?

PostPosted: 10/31/16 12:47 

Since I've only just started living in the RV I just purchased, I really haven't had experiences to share, but I can tell you what the intent of my journey is.
I am currently working a well paying job in MN, but it is a contract job and I have no idea if it will become a permanent position or not, or if I will wish to continue with the position beyond this winter, if it lasts that long. Since my only ongoing expenses now are food, gasoline, propane, and tabs due in February, I can start piling up cash to make improvements and changes to my RV while continuing to save in a 401(k) and bank savings account.

One thing is certain and that is the fact that I will not be pulling up my tent pegs here until I have swapped out the deprecated 16.5" rims and tires for 7 new 8.00 x 16" ones and gotten the chassis lubed. The previous owners were only the 2nd owners in the life of the unit. The first owner kept receipts as did the 2nd owner. It does have it's little "issues" being 33 years old, but I'm confident the drive train is capable of taking me anywhere I wish to go.

So where do I wish to go? Southwest during the winter is my plan, with an eye toward setting up a booth/tent in Quartzsite to sell prints and canvases of my photographic work. I would love to get into a summer job at one of the general stores in Yellowstone for at least 1 season, but I simply am not prepared at this point to commit to the 2017 summer season. I have too much to get done with the RV before I can commit to moving away from MN.

Other work and income options do exist for me, too. The agency that placed me for the contract job I am at now is national as is one other one that I have worked with previously. There should be no problem finding suitable part-time temp/short term employment in my career field wherever I may go. (5 years retail customer service & 10+ years call center customer service)

So the flow would ideally look like this:
Research jobs availability where I wish to go. If suitable number of openings, GO!
Work out the term of the job using free time to explore the area on my motorcycle, camera gear in tow.
Stay on a week or two after an assignment ends to explore and photograph around the area and research the next area I want to visit/work in.
Follow the weather, of course. I've lived in MN most of my life and I am not a fan of cold and snow like I used to be when I was younger and skied and ice fished in winter.
Winter time is a time to be in Quartzsite to sell my photography work to generate extra income.
Following the weather and having my motorcycle as my toad is the best option for me. 50mpg on the motorcycle, under 500 lbs., a small trailer for the bike added is still less than 800 lbs. total towed weight. I have all the riding gear necessary for any weather, except snow.

That's pretty much it, in a nut shell. I'm beholden to no one. I can do as I please when I please and how I please. Life is so much simpler that way.

Like and follow me on Facebook: Rovin' Bones