Workamper News Forums
FAQ  - Register  - Login 
[ Welcome Guest ] It is currently 06/17/18 18:03

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How many solos carry weapons?
PostPosted: 10/18/14 12:23 
Forum Aficionado-1000
Forum Aficionado-1000

One of my (obviously MALE) friends keeps telling me I should carry a gun. I don't want to carry a gun or any weapon. Someone bigger than me could overpower me and grab my weapon from me. My best defense is to "be aware" of surroundings and keep low profile.

How about other solos?

Feel free to leave me some comments.

Post subject: Re: How many solos carry weapons?
PostPosted: 10/19/14 09:42 

I did not when I traveled solo. Same reasoning as yours.

CJ

Follow me on Twitter

PostPosted: 10/19/14 09:50 
Forum Aficionado-1000
Forum Aficionado-1000

I hear and understand your concerns, however if someone takes my weapon away from me and uses it on me, they will be using it as a club with a pretty handle, because it will be EMPTY before they get it. LOL

My darling wife carries all the time and feels the same way, and I don't think she will be all that surprised because she is always aware of what is around her.

It is just a matter of preference, I have carried a weapon most of my life, more than twenty years for the government and before and after that stint I carried most of the time. We both now have CCW permits, even though they are not needed here in AZ, we want our weapons to be like our American Express cards, don't leave home without them.

Happy RVing.
:mrgreen: 8-)

PostPosted: 10/19/14 11:58 
Forum Aficionado-1000
Forum Aficionado-1000

Even if someone was in my RV and I claimed "Self defense," somehow, some way, *I* would be the one going to jail.

PostPosted: 10/19/14 22:55 

DXSMac wrote:
Even if someone was in my RV and I claimed "Self defense," somehow, some way, *I* would be the one going to jail.

this brings the old saying to mind.." better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"
carrying any type of weapon is a very personal decision, and often times leads to heated discussions for and against..

hubby has the ability to carry, but rarely ever does.. he does keep protection in the camper
i never carry, i do have the pepper spray, attached to my purse, but do not think i would ever have time to use it in an emergency..
so when alone, i do the same as you mention, try to be very aware of my surroundings, and be cautious of the situations i put myself into..

PostPosted: 10/20/14 07:30 
Forum Aficionado-1000
Forum Aficionado-1000

DXSMac wrote:

As a matter of policy in most departments, YES you would go to jail, but probably would be released quickly. The thing to remember if it ever happens, there is only one person you say anything to about the shooting, and that is your lawyer. Self defense many times becomes something entirely different because the person claiming it can not keep their mouth shut.

I would never tell anyone they should or should not carry a weapon, I can only speak to what I and my wife do concerning carrying. I agree wholeheartedly with the above statement about being tried by 12 or carried by 6.

There is a sign on one of our front windows at our winter home, Trespassers shot, survivors shot again, makes the story one sided.

Happy RVing.

PostPosted: 10/22/14 10:02 
Forum Platinum-500
Forum Platinum-500

If I'm staying in PA, I usually carry a firearm or two. BUT, if you go across state lines, you can wind up in DEEP Doo Doo. What I usually tell people is to get a can or two of WASP spray and keep it handy (Besides, it doesn't look threatening sitting on a table).

Should the need arise, you use it like a can of pepper spray. Unlike pepper spray, it shoots a LOT farther and there is NO residual oder or stains. However, the "victim" on the receiving end will need a trip to the ER to get his face and eyes flushed. Also, there is a LOT more liquid in the can than in pepper spray, good for multiple assailants.

WASP spray IS legal in all 50 states, so get a can for the home as well as your RV.

Have a good one!

PostPosted: 10/22/14 19:15 
Forum Aficionado-1000
Forum Aficionado-1000

Our CCW's are valid in 39 states, and the ones that don't honor them, I don't want to visit anyway. Our legal service is valid in all 50 states.

Happy RVing.

PostPosted: 10/23/14 21:19 
Forum Aficionado-1000
Forum Aficionado-1000

Haflinger, I love your idea ! No, we don't carry guns. And I don't want one. I have always been told not to have a gun unless
you are prepared to use it. And I can't swear that I would pull that trigger. Soooo.... we have kitchen knives.
And we do our best to utilize our common sense.
11 years on the road with no problems. Our closest problems occurred last night in downtown San Antonio. Stopped at Walgreens; as I was counting
out the change at the checkout - I felt someone was too close to me. Turned to find a large Mexican man with his hand mighty close to my purse. That
was my stupidity - I should have known better than to turn my back on my purse (it was in the shopping cart).
The second incident though ..... I went over to the gas station on the opposite corner. Had scanned my card through the card reader - it was asking for my zip code.
Looked up to find a large White man with a beer gut watching me. He tried to tell me that he was protecting me from the "crazies in the neighborhood". I just kept
talking; pumped the gas and left quickly. That man really scared me. :o
A gun would not have helped in either situation.

"Weeds are like people: We may be different but you gotta dig us !"
- Lyndsay

PostPosted: 10/24/14 09:46 
Forum Aficionado-1000
Forum Aficionado-1000

Regarding the zip code..........

If you use Discover at a gas station credit card scanner, you will ALWAYS be asked for the zip code. It is NOT for "marketing" purposes. I always stand with my full body covering the screen when I put my zip code in.

If you use Visa or M/C, you may or may not get asked for zip code, depends on which bank issued it.

On the other hand, if you are in a store, and the clerk does the credit card swipe and asks for your zip code, always say NO! This... IS... a marketing trick. If you use your credit card, the store has your name. If you provide a zip code, the store will search property web sites for your name and see if they can find it, and then you get junk mailed. This practice is known as "appending" according to Privacy Rights Clearinghouse.

If the clerk is doing the swiping and asks for your zip code and claims it's "store policy" for "security," say NO. The store is not likely to refuse the sale because you won't provide a zip code. But if YOU are doing the swiping, and zip code is asked, then provide it. So far, that IS a security measure, but who knows when marketers will start morphing it to their own use.

This is from Privacy Rights Clearinghouse website (based on California law):

Does the law apply to collection of your ZIP code?

In Pineda v. Williams-Sonoma Stores (February 10, 2011), the California Supreme Court ruled that a merchant may not ask a customer to provide a ZIP code as part of a credit card transaction. Williams-Sonoma used customer ZIP codes that it collected from customers to obtain their home addresses. It then used those addresses to send catalogs to customers who had never provided their address to the retailer. It was able to obtain these addresses through a process known as reverse appending (reverse searches from databases in order to match their customers’ names and ZIP codes with their previously undisclosed addresses).

In a subsequent case, Davis v. Devanlay Retail Group Inc., a federal district court ruled that the permissibility of a retailer’s request for a customer’s personal information depends upon “whether a consumer would perceive the store’s ‘request’ for information as a ‘condition’ of the use of a credit card.” You can read more about this decision here.

In February 2013, the California Supreme Court found in Apple v. Superior Court of Los Angeles that Song-Beverly Credit Card Act protections do not apply to online purchases that are downloaded electronically. At issue was whether the Act prevented online retailers from recording a purchaser's address and telephone number as a requirement for accepting a credit card as payment for a purchase of an item that does not need to be shipped to the purchaser. You can read an explanation of the Court's decision here.

Why do retailers want to collect my ZIP code?

A retailer might want your ZIP code for one of several reasons:

Identity verification. Under the Song-Beverly Credit Card Act, ZIP Codes may be collected for "pay at the pump" gasoline purchases.

Customer demographics. Sometimes a retailer wants to know where its customers are coming from, which can be helpful when deciding where to open new store locations.

Reverse appending. Retailers can use your ZIP code in conjunction with the name on your credit card in order to conduct reverse searches in databases to find out your address. This allows the retailer to mail advertising directly to you. For example, Experian's Address Capture SM matches customer name and ZIP code information captured at the point of sale to return full address records for future marketing efforts.

PostPosted: 02/16/15 21:20 

I also agree that the wasp spray is a nice item to have a can near each door, I have that as well as pepper spray, situational options...I do feel if the state does not honor a ccw permit why go there, but also it carries a responsibility...to keep yourself proficient in the use. Really at the end of the day the main goal is to protect you and yours...wasp spray, pepper spray, or ???...mission accomplished if effective! I've only been on the road solo 3 years now but am having no trouble finding neat places that want singles and are nice places to go. I think I already have next summer lined up for another new place to explore and visit. Happy trails to all!

PostPosted: 08/18/15 19:15 

Choosing NOT to carry a weapon is a perfectly valid choice. Anyone who chooses to carry a weapon should get some professional training and, be careful to learn in advance what the laws are everywhere they'll travel.

PostPosted: 08/19/15 11:57 
Forum Platinum-500
Forum Platinum-500

:mrgreen: For me to Know and the perpertrators to find out! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 10/09/16 01:56 

Irishrover wrote:
:mrgreen: For me to Know and the perpertrators to find out! :mrgreen:

I always say that I would feel sorry for anyone attempting to enter my RV, not!
If they could manage to get the door open.
When I locked myself out, not even easy for roadside assistance to gain entry.