Workamper News Forums
FAQ  - Register  - Login 
[ Welcome Guest ] It is currently 06/21/18 21:50

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Solos without an idea of how to do things.
PostPosted: 01/22/16 11:52 
Forum Aficionado-1000
Forum Aficionado-1000

Irishrover wrote:
"Just make sure your sewer hose is secured before you pull the slide valve!" :oops:

I'm a solo. BEEN THERE! I've also had the sewer hose pop out at the other end, for no reason......

Feel free to leave me some comments.

PostPosted: 05/29/16 17:34 

I enjoyed reading the posts and got a giggle out of them, but I do get what the original poster is saying. Folks need to take an active position to research and understand what they are getting themselves into and what they are capable of handling. Then when you decided what kind of rig set up you can handle then learn as much as you can about your rig and how everything works. I think we all agree that we all have some learning curves and folks are good about helping out here and there, but to me a solo RVer hitting the road and expecting that someone is going to help you out all the time is the wrong approach. I am a single solo woman RVer and the guy I bought my RV from went through everything and how it works. But I also was a bit overwhelmed and a lot of it did not sink in. I got with my brother and we did some run throughs and actually practiced doing things myself and even made notes so that if I did forget once I was on the road by myself I had something to reference back to. I also knew that I was no good at backing up a truck and trailer or evening handling all the hooking up etc, but felt confident in operating an RV. The majority of the time I can back up and turn around on my own. Here and there I have needed a little additional assistance and folks have been very helpful.

PostPosted: 10/15/16 14:40 

Welcome Seaspirit,
I am also new and sold my small sailboat, Catalina 25.
What state are you currently in?
I am currently in California.

PostPosted: 10/16/16 19:54 
Forum Aficionado-1000
Forum Aficionado-1000

I really don't see any problem with being new to this lifestyle or to camping and RVing. We all were new at it once, although I don't remember much about that as it was in the early 1960s that I started. Every new experience is a learning experience or a problem for most of us, just ask questions, watch everything until you know what belongs where, and ask someone if you need help backing into a site in a park. I know it can be frustrating and at times even scary, but hang in there and you will be an old hand at this in no time.
Happy RVing.
8-) :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 01/22/17 07:25 

Hello.

If this is not the right place for this, please put it where it needs to be. Thanks. This is all new to me.

I just joined yesterday and I decided to "Go Green." :mrgreen: I am new to workamping and I have been dreaming of doing this for quite some time and I decided that come "Hades or High Water," I'm going to just do it starting in May of 2017. I currently work at a homeless shelter in SD and I live in my van (self-contained) full time. Because the winters up here can be brutal, I am pretty much staying in my daughter's driveway. While I am prepared for the cold, there's been a couple of bitterly cold days that my daughter got so worried about me staying out in my van, to give her peace of mind, I stayed in her and her fiance's apartment.

My worry is that because I'm single AND I live in a van (even if it's self-contained) and not an RV that no one will consider hiring me. Is there anyone here who is also in the same situation as me? Also, what have been your experiences?

Thanks!

VanGrrl57

PostPosted: 04/15/18 06:46 

After reading this post I am wondering if I am being unrealistic about following my dream. I know the ins and outs of a travel trailer but...... I cannot afford a tow vehicle. I was hoping to be able to hire a towing service everytime I needed to move. I have not sold my house yet. This is the one issue holding me back.

PostPosted: 04/18/18 09:10 
Forum Platinum-500
Forum Platinum-500

VanGrrl57 wrote:
Hello.

If this is not the right place for this, please put it where it needs to be. Thanks. This is all new to me.

I just joined yesterday and I decided to "Go Green." :mrgreen: I am new to workamping and I have been dreaming of doing this for quite some time and I decided that come "Hades or High Water," I'm going to just do it starting in May of 2017. I currently work at a homeless shelter in SD and I live in my van (self-contained) full time. Because the winters up here can be brutal, I am pretty much staying in my daughter's driveway. While I am prepared for the cold, there's been a couple of bitterly cold days that my daughter got so worried about me staying out in my van, to give her peace of mind, I stayed in her and her fiance's apartment.

My worry is that because I'm single AND I live in a van (even if it's self-contained) and not an RV that no one will consider hiring me. Is there anyone here who is also in the same situation as me? Also, what have been your experiences?

Thanks!

VanGrrl57

You stated Self contained Van! If you send a picture of it and your self with your Resume I believe many employers would!