Workamper News Forums
FAQ  - Register  - Login 
[ Welcome Guest ] It is currently 11/13/18 16:48

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: mail forwarding
PostPosted: 11/03/12 11:01 
Forum Silver-60
Forum Silver-60

Is there any reason for me to use a mail forwarding service rather than just through the post office when I
snowbird/volunteer in Arizona?

I assume I am not able to change my state of residence since I still have my home for the summer in Wisconsin and my work is telecommuting from my employer in Wisconsin.

The main problem I am finding is being out of Wisconsin for over 3 months a WI health insurance company does not want to insure me and being a legal resident of Wisconsin an Arizona company does not want to give me health insurance. I am hoping to find an (affordable, $10,000 deductible) option with a Mayo Clinic network since they have providers in both places.

Teri

Post subject: Re: mail forwarding
PostPosted: 11/03/12 11:29 
Forum Aficionado-1000
Forum Aficionado-1000

Just curious why a health insurance company would have to know you are out of WI for 3 months. People travel all the time and I know a lot of non RVers who travel more than 3 months a year. As for changing your state of residence I don't know the legalities but we have friends who own homes in AZ but use a SD mail forwarding service and have their DL's and vehicles registered in SD.

PostPosted: 11/03/12 14:14 
Forum Gold-120
Forum Gold-120

When we are going to be in one spot for the winter we just have the the first class forwarded to the CG we are working at for free. Any other time like when we are traveling we just have them hold it and pick it up when we get back to our home base. This fall, winter, spring we aren't WK so we are just having it held at the PO (we have a PO box) and once a month our neighbor picks it up and puts it in a box for us. We do everything on line so we have no need for mail anymore but for health insurance we still have to have a home address so the PO forwarding works for that and if it's just being held or forwarded the insurance company has no idea where we are and how long we have been gone and if we need it we are just on vacation. We also do all are yearly medical and dental checkups in May when we are at the homebase so we have a record that we are still loving there ;). I have never heard of a insurance company requiring that you can only be out of the state for 3 months.

Denny

Post subject: insurance Re: mail forwarding
PostPosted: 11/03/12 17:57 
Forum Silver-60
Forum Silver-60

The 3 month question was on the individual application for the same plan we have as an employer. They have a very limited network of their own providers in a small area of Wisconsin so I am guessing they do not want to have to pay outside providers even for emergency care. When on the group coverage and I traveled into Canada for a number of weeks they said to keep the receipts if it was emergency care or care that could not wait to be considered for reimbursement.

I submitted the application anyway but they said on the form it was an automatic denial of insurance if you are out of state for 3 months.

I now have an application into Blue Cross of Arizona for $10,000 deductible and we will see what happens. I want to make sure I have some castrophic coverage but don't want to pay an arm and a leg for something from Wisconsin that might decide not to cover me if I really needed it.

I know some people travel 90% for their job or are in sales. Guess I am just too honest on the application knowing from working in healthcare how easy it seems to get a claim denied.

PostPosted: 02/12/18 05:21 

trostberg wrote:
Is there any reason for me to use a mail forwarding service rather than just through the post office when I
snowbird/volunteer in Arizona?

I assume I am not able to change my state of residence since I still have my home for the summer in Wisconsin and my work is telecommuting from my employer in Wisconsin.

The main problem I am finding is being out of Wisconsin for over 3 months a WI health insurance company does not want to insure me and being a legal resident of Wisconsin an Arizona company does not want to give me health insurance. I am hoping to find an (affordable, $10,000 deductible) option with a Mayo Clinic network since they have providers in both places.

Teri

Did you try to have a virtual real address? it might help you better as you can have you papers done, and receive an scanned images of all your important mails that you can check on you phone or pc. If it urgent you can ask to forward them to you anywhere you are, and if you need to shred personal mails, that can be done as well. There is also a physical storage option to store your mails and packages until further notice. I do have an account with https://www.postscanmail.com. try them!

PostPosted: 02/17/18 23:23 
Forum Platinum-500
Forum Platinum-500

If you are still "employed" even as a telecommuter, why isn't your health insurance coverage being provided under the employer's group plan? There is no such question on an employers plan for it's employees. There are thousand of workers - construction, welders, long shoremen, salespersons, electricians etc who are on the road more than they are ever home and they all have coverage thru their employers or with their union. Why would you be applying for an individual plan? Are you now going to be paid under a 1099 instead of a W2, considered as self-employed and have to therefore supply your own coverage?