Workamper News Forums
FAQ  - Register  - Login 
[ Welcome Guest ] It is currently 11/13/18 00:42

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best RV?
PostPosted: 03/20/18 15:33 

We're hopefully close to retiring and looking forward to enjoying the full time RV lifestyle. I'm wondering if anyone has any input in what type of RV would be best. We're thinking about a class A or C. Nothing large or stupid expensive. We're wanting to bring our motorcycles with us. I'm not thrilled with the idea of towing a large fifth wheel, that's why I'm thinking a class C towing a 12-14 ft enclosed trailer.
Anyone have any helpful suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Best RV?
PostPosted: 03/20/18 19:14 
Forum Silver-60
Forum Silver-60

we also did not want to tow a big 5th wheel and have to deal with the big truck, we chose a 34 foot Class A. works well we have plenty of room and can get into State and National parks without difficulty. we have friends who have a 34 foot Class C which works for them except they can not turn their driver and passenger seats around so that is wasted space when they are parked. decide where you want to travel, look at both decide on the floorplan you like, and go for it. remember size matters too big and you may not be able to get into some parks that's why we have a 34 foot it can get into anywhere.

Linda

PostPosted: 03/21/18 10:47 
Forum Platinum-500
Forum Platinum-500

:mrgreen: I've seen Class A and C's with a toy hauler area for ATV's and MC's! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 03/22/18 10:11 
Forum Aficionado-1000
Forum Aficionado-1000

Nothing large or stupid expensive. It depends on what you want, but that line pretty much eliminates ALL new Class A, C, and C+ rv's. They are all expensive, very expensive, sort of like buying a house.
We still think the DRV RV's are the best made, 3.25 inch walls, made for full timers from the ground up, and YES expensive, we just listen to all the hoopla we get about such and such is just as good as the Mobile and Elite Suites and we say no way. As far as pulling fifth wheels, no problems at all and when we are parked our truck gets as good as or better fuel mileage as all these little tennis shoe cars people pull around the country. Our last truck got a consistent 28 or more MPG when running empty, and our new one is up to about 22 MPG, and we still have lots of room inside and do not lose if we have a head on collision with a chihuahua. It is just a matter of preference and I prefer to be safe in whatever we are driving.
Talking about parks that big rigs can not get into, most of them are only 30 amp electric service anyway, and I will not hook up to any old run down 30 amp maximum service park, it is just asking for trouble with the rig. With the new 30 amp rigs, I would never hook one of them up in older parks that only have 30 amp service, even if it is supposedly enough, because the infrastructure of those parks is lousy and the bad wiring will ruin appliances in most new modern rv's.
Each RVer has to decide what is right for them and buy accordingly, it is best to make you mind up and buy what you need he first time, rather than get caught in the trap that you can always upgrade, because most any RV you buy new loses 1/3 to 1/2 of its value when you sign the papers on it. Makes it harder to upgrade unless you want an astronomical payment on one.
We have owned three Mobile Suites since 2005 and are currently looking for a 44 or 45 footer for us. They are easier to heat and cool in extreme weather zones, and are build fantastic from the factory. DRV just sold out a year or so ago to Thor, so we are waiting to see what the quality of the new ones are before we make our choice. They have already downsized the recently started toy hauler to 2.25 inch walls, which will make them much harder to heat and cool. We currently have a 38RSSB and love it, just looking for a bit more room and two bathrooms as we full time in it.
Do your homework, research and get what you want when you start, believe NO SALESMEN as they are only interested in getting something out the door for their commission. Check everything out for yourself, make them go over every inch of the RV with you and explain as well as demonstrate how everything in it works. There are only a couple of manufacturers that make appliances and such for RV's so no matter what you buy, they all have the same appliances, some just have prettier faces on them which does not affect how they work at all.
Happy hunting and I sincerely hope you find the perfect RV for you.
Happy RVing.
8-) :mrgreen: