Workamper News Forums
FAQ  - Register  - Login 
[ Welcome Guest ] It is currently 06/18/18 15:20

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: best fifth wheel for full timers, reliable/reasonable
PostPosted: 12/30/17 08:12 
Forum Bronze-20
Forum Bronze-20

We are getting ready to purchase a fifth wheel for full time living. We know Montana is one of the best, but can be more expensive.
Suggestions for ones that are reliable and reasonable? we have had a rockwood ultra lite tag along.that we have loved and enjoyed.
thanks so much and Happy New Year!

Post subject: Re: best fifth wheel for full timers, reliable/reasonable
PostPosted: 12/30/17 09:36 
Forum Aficionado-1000
Forum Aficionado-1000

To each their own, as for us, the Montana and all it's styles and other names are junk. Go to the factory and see all the corners they cut before you buy one.
Only one rig made solely for full timing and that is the Suites (Mobile, Elite and a few others), but they were bought out by Thor and already have had some models changed by making them 2.5 inch walls instead of 3.25 inch walls. We have owned three Mobile Suites and if we buy another one we will check them out VERY carefully now that Thor is making them.
The Suites were originally started by the man who owned another company, and wanted to just make fifth wheels for full timers. He was right on the mark until the buy out, now I don't know. Always been made for four seasons living just as they came off the line, no add ons needed. We have loved all three of ours and if we buy another one it will be a 44 or 45 footer and may be 2015 or older, as that is when they were bought out.

Regardless of what salesmen say, you cannot make an RV with two inch walls into a true full time rig, there is only so much insulation you can put in a two inch wall cavity (which is actually a 1 1/2 inch wall cavity. Suites are easy to heat and cool in severe temps either up or down. Yes they are more expensive, but you get what you pay for sometimes, not always. We won't full time in anything but a Mobile Suites, we love them.

No matter what you buy, a bumper tow or a top of the line fifth wheel, they all have the same appliances in them, even though they do put in pretty fronts and such on some appliances. Buying a fancy motor home you are just primarily buying a super heavy frame and drive train, check out the safety rating on anything you buy.

Happy RVing.
:mrgreen: 8-)

PostPosted: 01/25/18 21:39 

I Love our Columbus 386fk. Purchased in May, hoping to head full time within 2 years.

PostPosted: 02/07/18 01:50 

In the 16,000 pound class/price point we liked the Montana and Bighorn and one specific Cedar Creek Hathaway floor plan. In the 18,500 class/price point take a look at the Redwood. Redwood started as a company to do one thing - to build a fulltime fifth wheel. If you're looking at the price point of a Mobile Suites then check out Augusta RV as a competitor.

I've not bought my rig yet, but for us and what we want out of a trailer these were our best values. Best value being which trailers had the most of what we wanted and at lowest starting price.

You can study everything if you have a few years to spare. But if not, start with a budget. Then find a floor plan you like within that budget. Have a list of must haves which could include certain construction features such as a minimum of 3,000 pounds of cargo capacity and minimum tank sizes if you plan to boondock. Cargo capacity alone will knock out a bunch of trailers. I did a quick study of the full timer's blogs I follow. The average cargo capacity they had was 3440 pounds and most wanted more. Make sure you check photos of trailers online that show the yellow sticker with the weight capacity. Cargo capacity is lowered by the upgrades you put on a trailer such as dual pane windows. The yellow sticker shows you the actual capacity you are left with. Another thing my wife and I decided was to not get a trailer over 40' long so that took some floor plans off the list.

Choosing the best fifth wheel for full timers, reliability/ reasonable is a hard question to answer because everyone has their own list of wants.

Hope this helps a little. The process we are going through is a bit more involved than the above, but I had a few years to look and enjoyed the process. For the most part, you get what you pay for.