Workamper News Forums
FAQ  - Register  - Login 
[ Welcome Guest ] It is currently 07/21/18 19:11

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 5th Wheel durability
PostPosted: 12/10/17 09:54 

I am new to the thought of hauling a 5th wheel all around the country. I have heard some of these units shake apart when traveling hundreds of miles. We usually only hauled 75 miles on weekends and didn't experience issues.

Post subject: Re: 5th Wheel durability
PostPosted: 01/02/18 17:13 

Does anyone have any bad experience with weak framework or things coming loose inside?

PostPosted: 01/04/18 08:42 
Forum Aficionado-1000
Forum Aficionado-1000

We have been hauling Mobile Suite fivers around since 2005, never a problem with the structural, frame, etc. on them. Had a bit of trouble with tires blowing out and such, no problems with appliances that could be attributed to the appliance, some trouble with appliances because of shoddy workmanship and low quality in general, but not from towing them around. Some fivers if you buy new will void their warranty if you put a trailer hitch on them, one that comes to mind at the moment is Montana products, tells me they don't trust their little light frames they use. That is always something to check when buying, especially a new one. Warranties are not that good anyway, so don't need to void them because we want to take some toys with us. I have never liked toy haulers, even the Mobile Suite toy hauler has been downgraded just because it is a toy hauler, thinner walls, etc.
Name of the game is buyer beware, and never believe the lines salesmen give you to sell you an RV. Most salesmen have a bottom line that relies heavily on getting the unit off the lot and cash in their pockets, and a majority of them have never pulled, lived in or in any other way had any experience with RV's.
Happy RVing.

8-) :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 01/04/18 10:22 
Forum Platinum-500
Forum Platinum-500

I agree. For me I have towed my Designer a little over 11,000 miles since I bought it new. Nothing is falling apart other than the rubber roof which I have written a lot about here previous. I no longer have a rubber roof so all is good again and two years after the new roof was installed (definitely NOT rubber) I'm a happy camper.

PostPosted: 01/10/18 09:32 
Forum Silver-60
Forum Silver-60

We towed a Nu Wa Hitchiker 5th wheel for almost 10 years and I wouldn't say it was shaking apart from all the miles on the road. If your rig was fine at 75 miles, it should be fine on longer distances. But...over time, things do get loose or even break but that will happen with any type of rig.

'14 Grand Design Solitude 368RD
'11 Chevy Dually
http://www.whereRVgoing.wordpress.com