Workamper News Forums
FAQ  - Register  - Login 
[ Welcome Guest ] It is currently 10/18/18 04:07

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Recommended size for RV?
PostPosted: 09/17/18 21:51 

Hi all,

Got a newbie question here. The wife and I are planning to try the workamping experience next year. We are currently in the process of putting our house on the market, and selling our current camper (a 24ft hybrid, so it's not in consideration for full-timing). We are starting to window-shop and trying to figure out what features we will need in our full-time rig. We are leaning strongly toward a fifth-wheel.

The other thing we need to decide on is what size a rig do we want to get? We have been in lots of state campgrounds and almost all of those have had many sites that could handle 40+foot rigs. The only national park we have camped in was Rocky Mountain NP, and the camp host had a nice big spot, but I don't remember any of the camper spots being that big.

The fivers we drool over are the 40 and 42-footers. Below that length and we're talking about the compromises we'll have to make in order for it to work. The shortest ones we've seen that we thought we could make work are 35 to 36ft.

Do most of the workampers avoid the 40+ footers? We plan to concentrate on national parks (and surrounding areas) in the western half of the country, if that makes a difference. Will a 40ft rig make it hard for us to find places to work and live? Are there usually private campgrounds and resorts near the national parks that can handle the longer rigs?

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Steve

Post subject: Re: Recommended size for RV?
PostPosted: 09/20/18 06:37 
Forum Platinum-500
Forum Platinum-500

I have been in my 38' Designer full time since 2010 and it is the perfect size for me. I spend my summers (other than this summer however) in Florida at a state park and a lot of the sites just wouldn't fit me. So you do have to be careful of your length and recognize when a site just won't work. I have been to Ft. Wilderness a few times with my rig and while a bit tight backing in at times I haven't had to switch sites due to not being able to get in one.